Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What am I talking on?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So gents, here's a onedrive doc that you can edit.  Feel free to insert comments, or brush up your descriptions and what not.  I'll add this to the OP as well.

http://1drv.ms/1elIvpt
View Quote

dude, don't put "NSA stuff" next to my login name!  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What am I talking on?
View Quote

Whatever the fuck you want.  The link I posted is editable, so feel free to clarify your stuff.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So gents, here's a onedrive doc that you can edit.  Feel free to insert comments, or brush up your descriptions and what not.  I'll add this to the OP as well.

ar-jedi

Fixed
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fixed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Fixed

I think a public one drive link on ARF is a neat experiment.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Fixed

I have version history turned on plus an actual  backup, so if anyone fucks with it too much I can revert.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'n another short bus rider.  Most of my experience is in hardware, desktop support, and end user training, and virtually no experience on the network /server side.  I've dabbled a little with cameras, image scanning, and access control (doors and gate systems.)  If it had an IP address and end users could access it, I somehow became the first point of contact to work on it.  I've been out of the corporate IT field for 2 years, so I'm not up to speed on deployment tools or current practices.

I'm willing to listen and ask questions, however I doubt I have much to give otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Also guys looking at the document, the annotation/commenting is turned on so leave some feed back if you want.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'n another short bus rider.  Most of my experience is in hardware, desktop support, and end user training, and virtually no experience on the network /server side.  I've dabbled a little with cameras, image scanning, and access control (doors and gate systems.)  If it had an IP address and end users could access it, I somehow became the first point of contact to work on it.  I've been out of the corporate IT field for 2 years, so I'm not up to speed on deployment tools or current practices.

I'm willing to listen and ask questions, however I doubt I have much to give otherwise.
View Quote

I bet you have some funny end-user training stories to share
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Just in case you guys missed it, bcauz3y is offering up a list of topics for us to vote on:

o Browser artifact forensics

o Counter Forensic Tactics

o Current Browser attack methods (how to own browsers)

o Web App attack methods

o Enterprise network forensics and correlation technologies

o SIEM technology

o writing custom network forensics with Python

o writing custom attack payloads in Python
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI - RedDane and I work together, so he'd probably be in on this too.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FYI - RedDane and I work together, so he'd probably be in on this too.

View Quote

Absolutely, I see you guys presenting as a panel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd vote enterprise forensics or tenderly loving browsers.  Web app a close third.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm intrigued by counter forensics tactics.  But loving browsers tenderly also appeals to me.  OH GOD SO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Depending on what time this is done I'd be in.  Not sure I'd have much to present as I don't consider myself an expert in anything.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I find this fascinating.

I'll be riding the short bus on it but I'm definitely in for the ride.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't mind contributing, but to be perfectly honest, the guest lectures so far sound a lot more interesting than anything I can think of to give a talk on.

Professionally, I design, implement, maintain and troubleshoot Cisco voice networks. That's my area of expertise, such as it is. It's...really not that interesting.

I do it because it pays well. I'm not all that passionate about it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just in case you guys missed it, bcauz3y is offering up a list of topics for us to vote on:

o Web App attack methods

o SIEM technology

View Quote

i vote we do this monthly, and cover them all.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

o Web App attack methods

o SIEM technology

Yes

The custom payloads in Python sounds like fun....
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wonder if we have any NSX guys here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IP everywhere.  does anyone want to know anything about how IP everywhere?  Should only take a minute or 2.  

actually, depending on when this is, I may be able to give a presentation on software defined networks using mininet.  apparently academia has some vision for this.  im already a huge gns3/dynamips homer, so I feel right at home with mininet, you can even script stuff with python in it.

I would love to hear something on software defined networks!

pfft. Ciscos nexus is where its at
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably not as helpful now that bcauzy is here, but I'm an infosec professional that works for evil corporations. I'm focused in appsec from an offensive and defensive perspective (mostly defensive) and would be happy to share info on infosec, appsec, or appdev in general. (Prior to being involved in appsec I was an enterprise applications developer/architect.

I will have a look at the one drive when I'm done with the fam for the day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Probably not as helpful now that bcauzy is here, but I'm an infosec professional that works for evil corporations. I'm focused in appsec from an offensive and defensive perspective (mostly defensive) and would be happy to share info on infosec, appsec, or appdev in general. (Prior to being involved in appsec I was an enterprise applications developer/architect.

I will have a look at the one drive when I'm done with the fam for the day.
View Quote

Secure development is HUGE.

And outside my wheelhouse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind contributing, but to be perfectly honest, the guest lectures so far sound a lot more interesting than anything I can think of to give a talk on.

Professionally, I design, implement, maintain and troubleshoot Cisco voice networks. That's my area of expertise, such as it is. It's...really not that interesting.

View Quote

Man I see you being MC, doing the intros, warming up the crowd, playing bumper music, maybe some fake commercial breaks
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Depending on what time this is done I'd be in.  Not sure I'd have much to present as I don't consider myself an expert in anything.

View Quote

It doesn't even have to be something super interesting, maybe just a really cool story or something.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Man I see you being MC, doing the intros, warming up the crowd, playing bumper music, maybe some fake commercial breaks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And now to our sponsor Initech...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could have fun with that.

On another note, I jokingly tell people that ask what I do for a living that "I'm the guy who makes you press 1 for English" (it's not entirely untrue). It generally shuts down a conversation I really didn't want to have in the first place, at a dinner party.

That said, if anybody is actually curious how an IVR and ACD is programmed in a Cisco environment, I might be your Huckleberry.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy hosting the event and trying to keep it interesting and entertaining.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone doing any wireless network engineering? With distance?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone doing any wireless network engineering? With distance?
View Quote

I shot a 10 mile link once, when I lived in BFE (out of necessity). Kind of an interesting story, I suppose.

Enigma would actually be the best one to give a talk on that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#31]
What date and time is this going down?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It doesn't even have to be something super interesting, maybe just a really cool story or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this one time, on port 23, ...

ar-jedi  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ar-jedi  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi  

Shit, if we want to go into the wayback machine, I can tell you a tale of a fateful trip, that started from this IRC netsplit, aboard this tiny script.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Related: I once got k-lined from pretty much every Undernet IRC server for changing my in-addr.arpa address (I owned the SOA on the netblock at the time) to jarjarbinks.artoo.net, when the new Star Wars movie came out.

Fuckers had no sense of humor.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I ask because I work for a WISP in Lubbock. The furthest link I've set up is about 3 miles...but I had one site where I was seeing an AP I had 12 miles away. This all 5 GHz stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IP everywhere.  does anyone want to know anything about how IP everywhere?  Should only take a minute or 2.  

actually, depending on when this is, I may be able to give a presentation on software defined networks using mininet.  apparently academia has some vision for this.  im already a huge gns3/dynamips homer, so I feel right at home with mininet, you can even script stuff with python in it.

I would love to hear something on software defined networks!

Only Nexus I have much experience with is the 3048 I put into the top of our rack since I got it so ridiculously cheap. It's a nice switch. It's too bad it doesn't get to work very hard where it is haha.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing concrete, anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I ask because I work for a WISP in Lubbock. The furthest link I've set up is about 3 miles...but I had one site where I was seeing an AP I had 12 miles away. This all 5 GHz stuff.
View Quote

With the weather just right, and in the right location that can happen.  Hell you have the right reflector you could even make that work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if there's any way it could be recorded, for those of us who may not be able to make the live stream, that'd be fantastic.

eta: if it ends up being a series of shows, maybe the mod could start a sticky thread?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

if there's any way it could be recorded, for those of us who may not be able to make the live stream, that'd be fantastic.

eta: if it ends up being a series of shows, maybe the mod could start a sticky thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I can make that happen via the youtube channel.  If this is super popular, I would definitely be willing to make it a regular thing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think I can make that happen via the youtube channel.  If this is super popular, I would definitely be willing to make it a regular thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As if I hadn't blown PERSEC enough already.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

On another note, I jokingly tell people that ask what I do for a living that "I'm the guy who makes you press 1 for English" (it's not entirely untrue). It generally shuts down a conversation I really didn't want to have in the first place, at a dinner party.

That said, if anybody is actually curious how an IVR and ACD is programmed in a Cisco environment, I might be your Huckleberry.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy hosting the event and trying to keep it interesting and entertaining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly I think a talk on IP telephony could be super cool.  I know I've enjoyed our Avaya vs Cisco debates immensely especially considering the massive difference in design philosophy of the two.  Now that I'm getting Adtran certified in the Unified Communications platform I get to offer yet another perspective.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Related: I once got k-lined from pretty much every Undernet IRC server for changing my in-addr.arpa address (I owned the SOA on the netblock at the time) to jarjarbinks.artoo.net, when the new Star Wars movie came out.

Fuckers had no sense of humor.
View Quote

Similarly, I had the handle of Neophyte for a while and got instant bans after the Matrix came out. All fun and games until the war bots came out.

ETA:

I don't think I could bring anything to the table. Just a sysadmin/Engineer. Did years of email and finally switched over to building da clouds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I gave up on that a few months back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

With the weather just right, and in the right location that can happen.  Hell you have the right reflector you could even make that work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course we are using 1W radios with 12+ dB of gain per antenna (directional). When you have your APs on some of the tallest buildings for 120 miles, you can get some distance out of them. We try to keep shots under 2 miles but occasionally we play around with longer shots. We've found some shots are so noisy we can actually have a faster speed shooting across to the further sites. The main difference is shooting across flat Lubbock county versus shooting across the noisy city of Lubbock.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Of course we are using 1W radios with 12+ dB of gain per antenna (directional). When you have your APs on some of the tallest buildings for 120 miles, you can get some distance out of them. We try to keep shots under 2 miles but occasionally we play around with longer shots. We've found some shots are so noisy we can actually have a faster speed shooting across to the further sites. The main difference is shooting across flat Lubbock county versus shooting across the noisy city of Lubbock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ever do much with backhauls?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I am in to listen for sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Little bit. The way our stuff is currently configured, our APs and subscriber units are Ubiquity M5 (5 GHz) gear. Our back hauls are all Ubiquity 3.65 (or somewhere around there) GHz gear running back to a central location on top of a building (which also serves as a 5 GHz AP for us in case we ever need to remotely configure a 5 GHz AP to backhaul to the site in the case of a 365 radio failure). We also have one of those backhauls running 20 miles out of town to a broadcast FM transmitter's tower but I haven't played with that however will be getting to do that this summer as I'm temporarily moving 2 miles away from that broadcast transmitter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Little bit. The way our stuff is currently configured, our APs and subscriber units are Ubiquity M5 (5 GHz) gear. Our back hauls are all Ubiquity 3.65 (or somewhere around there) GHz gear running back to a central location on top of a building (which also serves as a 5 GHz AP for us in case we ever need to remotely configure a 5 GHz AP to backhaul to the site in the case of a 365 radio failure). We also have one of those backhauls running 20 miles out of town to a broadcast FM transmitter's tower but I haven't played with that however will be getting to do that this summer as I'm temporarily moving 2 miles away from that broadcast transmitter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a few 365 backhauls, but our locale has a nasty noise floor (2.4 is damn near unusable) 5.2, 5.4, and 5.7 work OKish but we're making a big push to Trango licensed links, some of those are pushing in excess of 30 miles.  We also have AirFiber for short links and those have worked great.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#50]
We've been talking about running a 11 GHz GB/s link out to a town 11 miles east of Lubbock to provide internet to those down in a canyon.

Tuesday I start a summer internship at Chevron...I'll be dealing primarily with 11 GHz links.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top