Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2015 9:37:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you're referring to running a linux live cd in Virtualbox.

Here is a tutorial for how to get it set up, the guy is using a linux host on the video but Virtualbox is also available for windows and osx:

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you're referring to running a linux live cd in Virtualbox.

Here is a tutorial for how to get it set up, the guy is using a linux host on the video but Virtualbox is also available for windows and osx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4dQ4UY7kB4

View Quote

Just a reminder, the guy on the video suggested  booting from the DVD rather than using a VM in a real world situation.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#3]
That won't help you to be "anonymous" at all. You'll still have the same source IP address that can be tracked straight back to your house.

If you're only worried about people in your house looking through your history and temp files that will help though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That won't help you to be "anonymous" at all. You'll still have the same source IP address that can be tracked straight back to your house.

If you're only worried about people in your house looking through your history and temp files that will help though.
View Quote

The video I posted above covers exactly what the OP wants to accomplish, including the use of Tor
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The video I posted above covers exactly what the OP wants to accomplish, including the use of Tor
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He probably wants to hide from the government, and Tor is about as useful as that VM for doing that.  The feds own most of the exit nodes and could know exactly who you are and what you were doing if they actually wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He probably wants to hide from the government, and Tor is about as useful as that VM for doing that.  The feds own most of the exit nodes and could know exactly who you are and what you were doing if they actually wanted to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was assuming more like browsing arfcom at work, but yes you're correct. For hiding from government funneling data through another country through a VPN provider and then through the TOR network would be more effective, but still not 100% anonymous which is arguably impossible on the internet.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I am also interested in a project like this.

I need to learn more about VPNs and VM. Is there really a need to use VM when using an outside VPN? I know there are different kinds of VPNs services and some do logging and tracking while others are more private and keep no logs or traffic.

I want to make it as transparent as possible to users within my house. I have some that are complete novices at a computer. What do I need to do?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank you contributors.

If the NSA wants you they will have you. I am thinking everything/body like Google, et al, from accumulating info, profiles, etc. I use startpage for my search and stuff, but have been thinking about that which is entailed to be less "found" than "more" found.

I'll take a look into that video as soon as time permits.
View Quote

Much like the NSA, if Google wants to know about what you're doing they're going to get information about what you're doing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
LD, what's up?

The Amnesic Incognito Live System (TAILS) linux distro is designed to be as anonymous as it gets. Granted, it is more geared to be something you stick in an Internet cafe machine, browse and go, it still is configured to offer a great deal of privacy. Just an FYI, it is confirmed that you go on a list just by visiting that site. But I can't imagine it matters any longer given the extent of NSA surveillance. Surely being a member here puts you on as many lists as visiting Tor or TAILS sites.

https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html

Some other simple ways to keep privacy (not total privacy, but more privacy than running naked):

adblock, ghostery, httpseverywhere, WoT, use startpage, duckduckgo, ixquick search engines. Drop your "free" email accounts, stay off arfcom, facebook, twitter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Take a look at Whonix.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was assuming more like browsing arfcom at work, but yes you're correct. For hiding from government funneling data through another country through a VPN provider and then through the TOR network would be more effective, but still not 100% anonymous which is arguably impossible on the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Circumventing security measures by using VPN, booting alternate OS, etc at your place of employment is most likely a gross violation of the terms of use on their network and in most places grounds for termination. Just something to consider. Is your financial security worth reading the latest tranny threads in GD?

If you MUST browse AR15.com at work, just get a smart phone with a data plan. It's a whole lot cheaper than getting fired.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:29:45 AM EDT
[#14]
This

Quoted:
Circumventing security measures by using VPN, booting alternate OS, etc at your place of employment is most likely a gross violation of the terms of use on their network and in most places grounds for termination. Just something to consider. Is your financial security worth reading the latest tranny threads in GD?

If you MUST browse AR15.com at work, just get a smart phone with a data plan. It's a whole lot cheaper than getting fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And This

Quoted:
Much like the NSA, if Google wants to know about what you're doing they're going to get information about what you're doing.

And This

Quoted:

There is some merit in being concerned about your security and privacy on the Internet but by and large you aren't going to fool anyone who's watching.  At the very least, you can learn a bit about security and how some of the tools function and what exactly they do.  I always advocate that.  Just be aware that the various methods and tools being discussed in this thread offer the illusion of privacy or anonymity but not much else.  Resist the temptation to do things that can get you fired or worse because you downloaded Tor, read about proxies, and installed a half dozen privacy utilities downloaded from geeksites and blogs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:33:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And steal your dick pics. They have a huge hardon for those. I hear there's a pot for the biggest, veiniest, most arrogant bastard of the week.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And steal your dick pics. They have a huge hardon for those. I hear there's a pot for the biggest, veiniest, most arrogant bastard of the week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Admit it.  If you worked there, you'd be snatching all the n00dz too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Relevant link to this conversation.

https://www.privacytools.io/

Some decent alternatives to some suspect addons that I use that are potentially not working as well as they should.

privacy badger from the EFF looks like a decent alternative to Ghostery, and uBlock may be more efficient than the venerable AdBlock Plus... Trying both out now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top