Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2015 7:42:45 AM EDT
I've been hard on my last two smart phones on screens. One's a samsung, the other is a Google phone. Replacing a screen seems just a little above my tech level. All of the local places seem to start at the mid $60 range for "evaluation" and repairs are obviously more. Is there anywhere to send one that won't look at it as an opportunity to gouge me and would do good work, maybe even stick in a newer battery, etc?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd imagine they'd cut out the diagnostic fee if you have them repair your phone.  There are times people bring phones in for diagnosis, and once it's determined it's a straightforward part or screen swap, they say "thanks," then fix it themselves.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Order the kit and do it yourself. I did my Galaxy III and it was easy. $20.

Essentially you just heat gun the screen, pry it out, remove a couple of leads, scrape off the old glue, put down the new glue, reconnect the leads and heat gun the new screen back on. Getting the all old adhesive off and making sure you don't burn up the phone with too much heat are pretty much the only things you have to watch out for.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly it's not that hard to do. A bit nerve-racking? Yes. Just take your time and follow the instructions carefully. I did it with my HTC Glacier and an Ipod. I got my kits from http://www.repairsuniverse.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top