Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2015 2:07:11 PM EDT
Anyone running the VSA? What kind of IOPS are you seeing and are you running hybrid or all spindles? Hell, even if anyone has an experience with any StoreVirtual products would be cool.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag, because I've been wanting to learn more about those.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Called my HP rep, I now have an NFR license. I'll see what numbers I can come up with.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
So, some basic numbers I threw together tonight.

4x Seagate Constellations 3TB 7200RPM drives configured in RAID 10 with a 512Kb stripe.

Server is a basic Xeon with 32GB of RAM, I tried to maximize caching as much as possible in the RAM.  Simulated 70/30 read/write I got right around 1200 IOPS, which isn't bad on 7200RPM spindles.  I don't have many hybrids laying around, but I might be able to add some SSDs for caching or scratch next week.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
So that is on a single server with no network RAID?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So that is on a single server with no network RAID?
View Quote

Correct, I just grabbed one of my test boxes and threw it on there. Sorry couldn't do more testing but I only have so much equipment laying around
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
More than I have sitting around haha. With those IOPS I'm assuming your controller has a decent sized cache on it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
More than I have sitting around haha. With those IOPS I'm assuming your controller has a decent sized cache on it.
View Quote

It's a pass through HBA, I'm using the server ram as cache.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it allow you to choose how much RAM to use as cache?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I basically told to enable write back and read cache and it figured it out. It also lists some options about using SSDs for scratch and tiering. Overall it seems a solid and mature product.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]
The LeftHand stuff has been around for a while. They just basically took the OS and made it a virtual appliance. Those StoreVirtual boxes are just regular HP servers with LeftHand OS running that you cluster. I assumed it would be pretty good, just haven't really gotten around to using it since licensing can still get pretty expensive to the point that an MSA 2040 in a small environment is cheaper. You don't get the same level of fault tolerance but for a lot of SMB customers they can save the money and take the small risk of downtime while their 4 hour response warranty takes care of hardware failure. I've seen an extraordinary low failure rate on top tier storage appliances outside of redundant components.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top