Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2015 11:21:01 AM EDT
I'm running 14.10 (x64).. have an issue with java headless bs..
only way to fix is reinstall or full upgrade/update (~)

I see that 15.04 is out.. wondering if anyone has checked it out yet (?)
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. I run CentOS on the "server" and Elementary on the laptop.

What's the issue you speak of?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#2]
we used to use CentOS at work, then we switched to Scientific Linux

my issue is this stupid openjdk-7-jre-headless thing
nothing I found on-line helps and I made a report at ubuntu with no luck.
last time I had it, the only 'fix' was upgrading from 14.04 to 14.10.

The following packages will be upgraded:
 openjdk-7-jre-headless
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/39.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 8,192 B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 693919 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../openjdk-7-jre-headless_7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.10.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking openjdk-7-jre-headless:amd64 (7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.10.2) over (7u71-2.5.3-0ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-7-jre-headless_7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.10.2_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite shared '/etc/java-7-openjdk/logging.properties', which is different from other instances of package openjdk-7-jre-headless:amd64
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-7-jre-headless_7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.10.2_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
looks like I'm a bit early.. not due for official release until tomorrow

http://fossbytes.com/10-best-changes-in-ubuntu-15-04-years-biggest-release/
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Ah, this is the systemd version.

We're a RedHat shop which is why I run CentOS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
updated to 15.04 today.. so far, so good.
a few existing problems are gone.. haven't given it a full shakedown yet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
May the Force be with you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I ran 15.04 briefly in beta because my laptop was pretty new and Debian Wheezy didn't recognize most of my hardware and caused constant probs.  Not a huge fan of dealing w/ Debian's testing or SID distros, and generally find Ubuntu's beta's easier to deal with.

Jessie just released a week ago, and I spent last night installing on my laptop.  So far, so good.  My NAS is running OMV (based on Wheezy) and will for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
so far, okay with 15.04 (Vivid)

known issues still exist

- no audio control from keyboard enabled(equipped) devices
- audio is a gamble.  sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  The ALSA crew just cant get it's shit together.

there are a few other issues i've encountered, but they're not consistent.

I can do what I want for the most part, but am a bit skittish to deviate from what I have.  I've seen an update
wipe out my ability to function "normally"
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]
That's been my general experience overall with Linux on the desktop. I'm sure it's gotten better over the years but it's a real PITA when things don't go right.

The last thing the average user wants to do is sit at a terminal window trying to recompile crap to make it work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's been my general experience overall with Linux on the desktop. I'm sure it's gotten better over the years but it's a real PITA when things don't go right.

The last thing the average user wants to do is sit at a terminal window trying to recompile crap to make it work.
View Quote

I honestly think it's one of the biggest issues keeping Linux from becoming more main-stream.
IMHO, developers are spending too much time working on cosmetics when they should be focusing on functionality.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It's amusing that everyone I know who uses Linux as a desktop solution winds up spending all their time in a terminal windows anyways because that's what they prefer.  Even if they were given a functional GUI that did everything they needed to do they would still refuse to use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top