BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2015 7:11:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]
No one?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Without a link to the PSU and graphics card, it looks fine for mid-range gaming. Probably not getting a lot of responses because you didn't describe which games you plan to play or if there is anything extra you want to do with the system. For example: If you don't plan to overclock (which it doesn't look like you do based on the i5, lack of other than stock cpu cooler, or water cooling), then why are you going with the z97?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Does Devil's Canyon suffer from the same thermal paste die-to-lid problem that some of the IvysHaswells did?  I read that it was rumored to have been fixed but haven't seen anything solid.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does Devil's Canyon suffer from the same thermal paste die-to-lid problem that some of the IvysHaswells did?  I read that it was rumored to have been fixed but haven't seen anything solid.
View Quote

It's not the thermal paste that is the problem, its the RTV glue they use to glue the IHS onto the PCB. .

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Without a link to the PSU and graphics card, it looks fine for mid-range gaming. Probably not getting a lot of responses because you didn't describe which games you plan to play or if there is anything extra you want to do with the system. For example: If you don't plan to overclock (which it doesn't look like you do based on the i5, lack of other than stock cpu cooler, or water cooling), then why are you going with the z97?
View Quote

I got the 4690k with unlocked cores. I bought a coolermaster evo 212 to keep it cool. I already had a r9 270x msi that does just fine for now. After about 4 days with the system I am trying to figure out why I haven't bought an ssd earlier. Amazing speeds. The 4690k is stupid fast when playing arma 3 and tw: attila. Overall happy with the expenditure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm running a 4690K with the R9 290.

The 4690K runs fairly cool, compared to earlier Haswells. Devil's Canyon refresh solves a lot of the older thermal issues. I've got mine overclocked to 4.4Ghz with 1.18V on the cores, and I peak at around 63 C after 1 hour of stress testing. I am running liquid cooling via Corsair H100i though.

Running my R9 290 overclocked to 1.15 Ghz Core, I can get >60 FPS on BF4 Ultra settings 2560x1440.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm running a 4690K with the R9 290.

The 4690K runs fairly cool, compared to earlier Haswells. Devil's Canyon refresh solves a lot of the older thermal issues. I've got mine overclocked to 4.4Ghz with 1.18V on the cores, and I peak at around 63 C after 1 hour of stress testing. I am running liquid cooling via Corsair H100i though.

Running my R9 290 overclocked to 1.15 Ghz Core, I can get >60 FPS on BF4 Ultra settings 2560x1440.
View Quote

Ever overclock with a hyper 212 evo?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't personally used the Hyper 212, but I've read it can keep the cores sub 80 (load) under 1.2 vcore, so you should still be able to hit 4.4Ghz*.

I'm sub 70 @ 1.2VCore, which probably means I can push to 1.22-1.24 range before hitting 80 C. That might* translate to 4.6-4.7Ghz. But I honestly don't see the need other than benchmarking.

*(depending on the silicon lottery)
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never overclocked personally but I have a Haswell i7 4770k with 212 EVO. My CPU seems to be one of the bad ones because I couldn't make an hour of stress testing without overheating on the stock cooler. System fans running on high in the Bios as well.

I wanted to do some gaming so I figured with temps like that even if I'm not overclocking I should get a cheap cooler. With the CPU fan on performance I think and the system fans on quiet, I hit a stable 52 C for the whole hour of testing. With the PC under my desk the fan isn't even annoying. I'm happy for $30.

With your Devil Canyon chip you should be able to do better. Hope this helps some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top