Quoted:

???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if I want two UniFi UAPs in my house, I need a switch, or a router to connect them?  Right now I just have a cable modem and an access point.

Thanks.

And a box to act as a controller.

???

UniFi's are infrastructure APs, that means there's one SSID (it supports up to 4, with 4 VLANs) and the client is handed off from AP to AP seamlessly, with 1 AP there's no need for a controller but more than 1 there must be a controller to handle the hand-off.  Most deployments I do with it I just spin up a linux VM to handle it.  Now, in theory you could put up 2 APs each with a different SSID on the same network but this is not a recommended configuration and might prevent you from getting any support.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

UniFi's are infrastructure APs, that means there's one SSID (it supports up to 4, with 4 VLANs) and the client is handed off from AP to AP seamlessly, with 1 AP there's no need for a controller but more than 1 there must be a controller to handle the hand-off.  Most deployments I do with it I just spin up a linux VM to handle it.  Now, in theory you could put up 2 APs each with a different SSID on the same network but this is not a recommended configuration and might prevent you from getting any support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if I want two UniFi UAPs in my house, I need a switch, or a router to connect them?  Right now I just have a cable modem and an access point.

Thanks.

???

So...this just got a whole lot more complicated...

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

???

<--Ubiquiti reseller

People have done it, and it does work.  Just don't expect any support for it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#4]
So this "controller" I would need....standalone off-the-shelf hardware box, or a PC that's always running?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So this "controller" I would need....standalone off-the-shelf hardware box, or a PC that's always running?
View Quote

It can be anything that can run Java.  I've seen Macs, PCs, Linux boxes, virtual machines, I think someone here got it running on a 30 dollar RaspberryPi board.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Had this discussion with a customer today... if your just running a UAP you only need the controller on set up with just a single AP. Now if you need to make changes to the config or reset something then it needs to be connected back to device running the controller software... BUT A CONTROLLER IS PRETTY MUCH recommended... I work for a distributor that doesn't sell to end users, but if you need a good reseller that can help you out i have a whole list of them that i would recommend.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

<--Ubiquiti reseller

View Quote

A bit unrelated but, are any of the APs using standard POE voltage?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<--Ubiquiti reseller

Nope!  Don't expect them to ever do that either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<--Ubiquiti reseller

As a reseller what do you recommend for say, powering two of their APs and a few of their cameras (which I also think run non-standard voltage)? I was looking at some rack mount POE solutions but can't really mix and match voltages. And I really don't need another switch just so I can use half the ports for POE.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As a reseller what do you recommend for say, powering two of their APs and a few of their cameras (which I also think run non-standard voltage)? I was looking at some rack mount POE solutions but can't really mix and match voltages. And I really don't need another switch just so I can use half the ports for POE.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<--Ubiquiti reseller

These can do both 24v and 48v

https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/toughswitch/
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is an alternative. We deployed these at my old job at a few places. The nice thing is no controller needed, you control and set them up from a free website that you control, they provide. Some of the models can use standard POE voltages. Very reliable, just set them up and deploy. About as easy as it gets.

http://www.open-mesh.com/products/access-points.html

I am not saying that are as good or better than the brand mentioned above, but they are damn good reliable devices from what I have found in the real world. Can be setup and controlled from a computer or a tablet app as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It can be anything that can run Java.  I've seen Macs, PCs, Linux boxes, virtual machines, I think someone here got it running on a 30 dollar RaspberryPi board.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you point out where in the documentation it says you have to run the controller software 24/7 for the APs to work? Everything I see says you only turn it on to do the configuration (check a box that says "roaming" if you have multiple APs), and then shut it down and you never have to run the software again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have 2 ap's hard wired at my place and i have also set it up as wireless uplink.   I never keep the controller up, can you explain why mine switch from ap to ap then?

The rev 180 has almost tripled in price I only paid 110 for mine years ago, but any router should work just fine
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Seamless-Roaming/td-p/354482
Edit for link :
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

???

I have 2 ap's hard wired at my place and i have also set it up as wireless uplink.   I never keep the controller up, can you explain why mine switch from ap to ap then?

The rev 180 has almost tripled in price I only paid 110 for mine years ago, but any router should work just fine
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Seamless-Roaming/td-p/354482
Edit for link :

Because you have the second one in relay mode, it's re-broadcasting the first AP and only using the wire for power.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can you point out where in the documentation it says you have to run the controller software 24/7 for the APs to work? Everything I see says you only turn it on to do the configuration (check a box that says "roaming" if you have multiple APs), and then shut it down and you never have to run the software again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to run it 24/7 for the ap's to work, just to have hand off. No controller and you just have to manually switch ap's
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You don't have to run it 24/7 for the ap's to work, just to have hand off. No controller and you just have to manually switch ap's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe that a separate computer has to handle the hand off. Again, where in the docs does it say this?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here is an alternative. We deployed these at my old job at a few places. The nice thing is no controller needed, you control and set them up from a free website that you control, they provide. Some of the models can use standard POE voltages. Very reliable, just set them up and deploy. About as easy as it gets.

http://www.open-mesh.com/products/access-points.html

I am not saying that are as good or better than the brand mentioned above, but they are damn good reliable devices from what I have found in the real world. Can be setup and controlled from a computer or a tablet app as well.
View Quote

Those are pretty sweet as well. If we hadn't already built our own cloud management for UniFi we'd be selling those.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe that a separate computer has to handle the hand off. Again, where in the docs does it say this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the Quick Start guide:

Network Topology Requirements

A DHCP-enabled network (for the wired Access Point to
obtain an IP address as well as for the wireless Access
Points after the deployment)

A management station computer running the UniFi
Controller software, located either onsite and connected
to the same Layer-2 network, or off-site in a cloud
or NOC

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or NOC

That's only for initial setup. The forum confirms the controller software isn't required for roaming. The only exception is if you are using applications like VoIP that will crash and burn if they lose a packet or two. For that type of hand off you need the beta firmware and even that isn't fully supported:

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/active-controller-necessary-for-AP-Roaming/td-p/978927
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's only for initial setup. The forum confirms the controller software isn't required for roaming. The only exception is if you are using applications like VoIP that will crash and burn if they lose a packet or two. For that type of hand off you need the beta firmware and even that isn't fully supported:

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/active-controller-necessary-for-AP-Roaming/td-p/978927
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or NOC

That....is not the story they gave us when we all got certified.  Interesting.  I might have to have words with my rep.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]
So I'm confused...I will need a dedicated, always-running PC to manage two or more UniFi UAP's that share an SSID and do handoffs, or I will not?

Sorry guys, I'm an electromechanical / controls guy, not an IT guy, bear with me!

Thanks!

edit: OK, I just read the forum posts linked two replies previous to this one, and it looks like I do NOT need a controller to handle roaming.

So it would appear that all I need are two UAPs and a router.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You are correct for the last statement
View Quote

Thanks.

Any rec's on a wired router?  They seem less common these days.  Not looking to spend a ton...
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks.

Any rec's on a wired router?  They seem less common these days.  Not looking to spend a ton...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are correct for the last statement

Thanks.

You should try it first using your old Linksys (with wireless turned off). It should be able to keep up with the wired routing just fine. I use this router with the wireless disabled (http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR940N-Wireless-External-Antennas/dp/B003Y5RYNY) and it keeps up with my 50MBit cable connection with no problems at all. It's been running 24/7 for 2 years and once I stopped using the wireless in it I have never had to reboot it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top