Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2015 2:06:09 AM EDT
Background: Got a 4K Dell 28" monitor that I've been using in 1440p mode so I can have the 60hz refresh instead of 30hz. However, the AMD Catalyst graphics driver will sporadically give out DisplayPort Linkage Failures, and limit the refresh rate or max resolution to 1080p. That, or with the slightest touch, the monitor will stop being recognized and enter sleep mode unless I power cycle the computer. Started tearing my hair out trying to figure out what was the problem: the monitor, or my computer.

Turns out neither: it's the damn cable they supply. Replaced the cable with an Accell DP 1.2 cable for $13 on Amazon and all my problems went away. If anything, screen looks sharper now in 1440p mode. (1.2 more or less doubles DP bandwidth over 1.1 standards)

Quick google search, and apparently this is a common enough issue- with some users reporting the cable being able to cause BSODs. (in theory, DP qualifies as a plug/play peripheral, so I guess it could affect an OS that way)

TL;DR- if you're having trouble with Dell DisplayPort monitors, check your cable.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top