Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 2:31:51 AM EDT
Wife has an iPad 3, running some version of IOS (I have no idea, I don't use the thing, and barely tolerate its existence).  I had read some time ago about people suffering great pains after upgrading their iPads to whatever the latest version of IOS is.  She has some apps, however, that are not working right, and we cannot access the App Store to update them, presumably because Apple is forcing us to upgrade the IOS version.

So... What are the troubles with upgrading IOS on an iPad 3?  I had read about broken features, broken functionality, dismal battery life, and many people hated the new interface.  She has a brand new iPhone 6 something or other, so perhaps she is already used to whatever the "new" interface is?

Should we upgrade?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#1]
so your apps don't work, the iPad is basically useless, and you're concerned it will be worse when you upgrade?

just upgrade and get it over with
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The apps that don't work are entertainment apps, she uses other apps for work and I'm concerned about it not working at all after the upgrade.

Just curious what pitfalls to watch out for.  I assume its not possible to easily roll an Apple product back to a prior release....
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I updated mine and my wife's last week. We did not turn into newts.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]
This entirely depends on how far back the iOS is.

Three versions back, yes, then you will have problems due to that alone.

Current version and just the latest stuff to update? Probably won't have problems if you don't upgrade, but if you do, you could be an involuntary beta-tester for Apple.

Here is what I would do:

- Make absolutely sure your wife knows how to reboot.  Not just turn the screen off, RE BOOT it.

- Make sure she knows how to actually close apps.  Not just, "hide them" but close.  (Hint: double click the button, swipe up on all the tiles that appear until no more appear.)

Do that first, chances are, it's fucked up because it hasn't been restarted.

But find out the latest version of the OS, and the version installed on it too.

For the WORK stuff, ask the IT department at work about it. If they won't support it, then she shouldn't be using that device for work. Make THEM do the thinking on that stuff.

The interfaces don't change THAT much so she should be fine.

I always wait a few months before updating the OS to let other people deal with the bullshit bugs that get introduced and fixed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I'm reading the iOS 8 update slowed down the iPad 3 a bit, but the iOS 8.1 update fixed that. I would go ahead and update it.

Check out gottabemobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Part of the updates is not just new features but security updates. If you're using the iPad for work it should be up to date on software to avoid security issues.

FWIW the iPad 3 was underpowered out of the box. The GPU was not up to running the Retina screen which was introduced to iPad's with that model. That is why the iPad 4 was released pretty quickly after the 3 with a much better CPU/GPU.

You can find NIB iPad Air's for pretty good prices these days. Much improved over previous models even if you don't want to shell out for a new Air 2. They have had 128GB cellular models around here for ~$500 and lower models for around ~$350.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#10]
iPad3 here.  Running iOS 8.2.

It's slow.  Not dead, but much slower than 7.x was. 8.3 (coming soon) is 'supposed' to address this, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Otherwise it runs just fine on 8.2
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

iPad3 here.  Running iOS 8.2.

It's slow.  Not dead, but much slower than 7.x was. 8.3 (coming soon) is 'supposed' to address this, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Otherwise it runs just fine on 8.2

View Quote

I am running the beta of 8.3 on my iPhone 6 and everything is running great. Awesome battery life, and no major issues.

The iPad 3 is 4 generations old now so its not unexpected that performance would slow when its running an OS that is designed around newer and much better hardware.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#12]
the latest ipad upgrade fixed my issue with inline youtube videos on arfcom
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I just updated my Six Plus, and it went fine. No issues noticed so far.

One annoying thing, they added a "you can't delete it" sync app for the iWatch (a niche product that won't go anywhere) so one extra mandatory space used up on the screen.  Gratuitous advertising for a product almost nobody will buy that could have been in the "settings" menu somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One annoying thing, they added a "you can't delete it" sync app for the iWatch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
One annoying thing, they added a "you can't delete it" sync app for the iWatch

You can semi-hide it at least:
If you don’t already have a folder on your iPhone create a new folder by dragging the Apple Watch app on top of another. This makes a folder. Now drag the Apple Watch app to the right and it will move to a second page. This won’t reset when you restart your iPhone and you won’t see it unless you tap on the folder and swipe. LINK
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just updated my Six Plus, and it went fine. No issues noticed so far.

One annoying thing, they added a "you can't delete it" sync app for the iWatch (a niche product that won't go anywhere) so one extra mandatory space used up on the screen.  Gratuitous advertising for a product almost nobody will buy that could have been in the "settings" menu somewhere.

View Quote

Not to steal the thread, but I think you'll be surprised how many they sell.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top