Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2015 2:27:00 PM EDT
91.220.131.66    We are a large network of 20+ k  pc's.
We just loaded Malware Bytes Management Console and pushed the client to most of our computers.
A bunch of our systems is reaching out to this address scanning for available ports. Mbam and other tools is not finding anything on them .. Running Sophos' virus removal tool finds "vawmem-a" as a memory process and removes it.  I am just not sure it is associated with this ip or not.

The PC's are reaching to it so frequently that the log files are filling my SQL databases very quickly.  I have been in contact with MBAM but its got us scratching our heads.    All i know is the IP is Russian from a whois search..

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
According to RIPE, that IP belongs to rivethost.com in Russia.
None of the major RBLs for spam have it listed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The way it reads to me someone is using your network to hack Russians you better put stop to that quickly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The way it reads to me someone is using your network to hack Russians you better put stop to that quickly.
View Quote

I agree.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple questions..

1) Do you have a default route off of your network? ie., can someone ping google.com (and get replies)? A networking guy worth his salt will NOT have a default route. It's in the routing table or it does't go anywhere.

2) Are people forced to use a proxy? This is the best way to monitor and control web traffic.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]
First, log attempts to talk to those IPs at your firewall.  Tie the IP address back to specific machines.  Then use netstat and/or other common tools to find which program is making the attempt.

It sounds like you've got 20,000+ PCs.  If so, do you really not have any network guys that can track down the problem?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I agree.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  

Funny, I read it exactly the opposite - you'v been hacked/infected by the Russians, and your computers are reporting something back... may just be "still part of your DDOS botnet, standing by, Comrade."

Personally I'd like a list of all the Class A networks assigned to Russia and China, so I can just packet drop those bastards.  I have no reason to have any network comms with them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Funny, I read it exactly the opposite - you'v been hacked/infected by the Russians, and your computers are reporting something back... may just be "still part of your DDOS botnet, standing by, Comrade."

Personally I'd like a list of all the Class A networks assigned to Russia and China, so I can just packet drop those bastards.  I have no reason to have any network comms with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  

Well, here and here are two places where you can get such lists.  They're not perfect, but they are pretty good.

As for blocking China, it's initially tempting to block all of APNIC.  But, Japan, Australia, and NZ are part of APNIC, too.

The list can get quite long, so hopefully your firewall has more efficient mechanisms (like Linux's ipsets) than just looking sequentially through ACLs.   Null-routing the networks, instead of firewalling, may be an option for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top