Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2015 12:55:33 AM EDT
I have reason to believe someone who lives near me is tapping in to my house wifi network. And yes, I realize I could change the password at any time. What I'd rather do, at least for a while, is monitor and view the data being viewed/accessed. My network, my property, my prerogative and all that.

Is there any product that will allow me to capture the data being viewed and accessed while on my personal wifi network? If so, what's it called, and how clear is the captured data? I'm not interested in a bunch of code, I'm looking for fairly lucid content.....though I'm only guessing that it's even an option.

Any ideas what might work?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Wireshark.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wireshark.
View Quote

That's about the long and short list.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:07:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Not worth it. Just kick their ass off and secure your network.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't do it.  It's illegal.  Just change the password and call it a day.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:27:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also what happens if they're viewing illegal things, you tap into it, then a search warrant is served on you and your computer. Oops they then find you viewed everything he did.

Bu Bu Bu but officer it was my neighbor, I swear.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would it be illegal to monitor traffic on your wifi for evidence of a crime?

Txl
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why would it be illegal to monitor traffic on your wifi for evidence of a crime?

Txl
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Because you're not LE and you don't have a warrant to conduct wiretapping operations.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because you're not LE and you don't have a warrant to conduct wiretapping operations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

So monitoring your own wifi is considered wire tapping under the law?

Txl
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:00:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

You should not need a warrant to "wiretap" your own private network. Heck, IT guys do sniffer traces on their own networks all the time! Besides, pretty much every router has the built in ability to log activity, so you probably don't even need to use a sniffer. Most routers will log basic stuff for the last 30 days or so by default, so you might already have the evidence you seek. Using a sniffer can't hurt though to get a more detailed analysis.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Users on your network in a company generally agree to such monitoring either in writing when hired or acceptance of that magic TOU when they login. As employees of the company they can always be monitored as they're using and accessing the data from company equipment. The key thing here is consent - somewhere along the line the user / employee has consented to such monitoring.

An external user connected to your home wifi? Ehhhhhhh quite a bit different and I wouldn't want to get involved. You definitely don't have their consent. Especially if they're doing illegal shit.

Besides, there's nothing but a boring, boring...... booooring amount of data in a Wireshark capture.

My Point: Save yourself the trouble and change your encryption levels, key, hide your SSID, MAC ban the shitbag or allow only your own MAC addresses, and call it a day.

ETA: Here's what Wireshark will get you. Not exactly what you'd be looking for anyways...

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:11:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wireshark.
View Quote

I just looked at screen shots of Wireshark, and the data it captures/produces looks like hyroglyphics....to me anyway.

No comprendo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:47:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Txl

If you're monitoring someone else's communications without their consent?  Absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:47:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You should not need a warrant to "wiretap" your own private network. Heck, IT guys do sniffer traces on their own networks all the time! Besides, pretty much every router has the built in ability to log activity, so you probably don't even need to use a sniffer. Most routers will log basic stuff for the last 30 days or so by default, so you might already have the evidence you seek. Using a sniffer can't hurt though to get a more detailed analysis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

That's a nice theory, but it's not true.  And no, most routers don't log anything and don't have the capability to log anything.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just looked at screen shots of Wireshark, and the data it captures/produces looks like hyroglyphics....to me anyway.

No comprendo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wireshark.

No comprendo.

Just lock them out.  Much easier and you don't have to worry about which one of the plethora of federal laws you'd be breaking by trying to intercept someone else's traffic.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:22:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's a nice theory, but it's not true.  And no, most routers don't log anything and don't have the capability to log anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Are you kidding me? If you have a secure network then it is your line. Do whatever you want. If push comes to shove then you can always say you were troubleshooting a network problem (which is the absolute truth). Besides, if they are using your line then they can expect you are watching and have no reasonable assumption of privacy whatsoever. And yes, every router should have logging. I am an Microsoft, and Cisco certified, have been setting up networks for over 15 years with all sorts of wireless routers and especially firewalls. If your router has a firewall in it then it will log, just go into the advanced settings.

Wireshark is a sniffer. Captures look like gibberish most of the time because the packets have headers and stuff that is encoded in hex/binary, but you can read the data if you filter it out carefully, including some plain text. With a good sniffer you can even replay the traffic on your workstation to see what the other person saw. Now, if you try and hack their computer, then that would be illegal for sure.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you kidding me? If you have a secure network then it is your line. Do whatever you want. If push comes to shove then you can always say you were troubleshooting a network problem (which is the absolute truth). Besides, if they are using your line then they can expect you are watching and have no reasonable assumption of privacy whatsoever. And yes, every router should have logging. I am an Microsoft, and Cisco certified, have been setting up networks for over 15 years with all sorts of wireless routers and especially firewalls. If your router has a firewall in it then it will log, just go into the advanced settings.

Wireshark is a sniffer. Captures look like gibberish most of the time because the packets have headers and stuff that is encoded in hex/binary, but you can read the data if you filter it out carefully, including some plain text. With a good sniffer you can even replay the traffic on your workstation to see what the other person saw. Now, if you try and hack their computer, then that would be illegal for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, pretend this guy doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just lock them out.  Much easier and you don't have to worry about which one of the plethora of federal laws you'd be breaking by trying to intercept someone else's traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wireshark.

No comprendo.

Between single party consent states, and it being your own secure network I cannot imagine it would violate any laws. Next you are going to tell me setting up a honey pot on your own network and monitoring it is a crime.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Between single party consent states, and it being your own secure network I cannot imagine it would violate any laws. Next you are going to tell me setting up a honey pot on your own network and monitoring it is a crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wireshark.

No comprendo.

Single party consent when you're monitoring communication between someone you don't know and say an email server or a SIP server you don't control?  Don't think that will fly.

Honey pots now...  that might be a little bit different -- for extra credit tell us why...  
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Single party consent when you're monitoring communication between someone you don't know and say an email server or a SIP server you don't control?  Don't think that will fly.

Honey pots now...  that might be a little bit different -- for extra credit tell us why...  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wireshark.

No comprendo.

Just because a honeypot is more or less the end point of the communication versus a middleman should not make much difference. Unauthorized access to a private computer/router pretty much invalidates any expectation of privacy of any data going through it. Keywords being unauthorized and private.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
  Just because a honeypot is more or less the end point of the communication versus a middleman should not make much difference. Unauthorized access to a private computer/router pretty much invalidates any expectation of privacy of any data going through it. Keywords being unauthorized and private.
View Quote

Would you want to defend it in a federal court?  I wouldn't...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly which law do think it would violate? A person monitoring traffic of an unauthorized user on their network doesn't seem to fall under TX penal code.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly which law do think it would violate? A person monitoring traffic of an unauthorized user on their network doesn't seem to fall under TX penal code.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 USC 119  It's a felony, btw.  Is it worth fighting the feds for your gun rights over intercepting some traffic that won't do you any good at all anyway?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Besides, there's nothing but a boring, boring...... booooring amount of data in a Wireshark capture.
View Quote

Only boring until you need to prove to your whiney client that they can't connect to you because they aren't even sending the SSL cert when it's asked for.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#25]
would it be illegal to foreward all his requests to lemonparty.org?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Wiretapping of your own network?  Nope.  Not going to bite on that one.  I own the connection, I own the equipment.  I didn't consent to them being on my network, ergo, I wasn't supplied with the opportunity to require them to consent to having their comms monitored.  If they wanted privacy, they shouldn't be illegally using my connection.

So by your analogy, companies that have their own internal networks are wire-tapping you when they allow IT department to look over why you visit/do on a work computer?

You might think it's illegal, but it's my god damn connection.  Do I not have a right to listen to communications that occur within my house, say, from another room?  Yes, I sure fucking do.  Have a problem, leave my house (or my internet connection).

If you wanted to get around that (theory that I can't monitor activity on my own internet connection), find a way to make a prompt that they have to agree to being monitored or they can't use the internet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wiretapping of your own network?  Nope.  Not going to bite on that one.  I own the connection, I own the equipment.  I didn't consent to them being on my network, ergo, I wasn't supplied with the opportunity to require them to consent to having their comms monitored.  If they wanted privacy, they shouldn't be illegally using my connection.

So by your analogy, companies that have their own internal networks are wire-tapping you when they allow IT department to look over why you visit/do on a work computer?

You might think it's illegal, but it's my god damn connection.  Do I not have a right to listen to communications that occur within my house, say, from another room?  Yes, I sure fucking do.  Have a problem, leave my house (or my internet connection).

If you wanted to get around that (theory that I can't monitor activity on my own internet connection), find a way to make a prompt that they have to agree to being monitored or they can't use the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Companies essentially all make you consent to monitoring in some way, and even then are extremely restricted in what they're allowed to actually monitor.  Even in DOD, IT may *NOT* read emails or watch traffic on the line without special permission, even though I have to click the annoying consent button on a page long document that tells me I have no right to privacy and everything is monitored every time I log in.

Technically, it's not your connection either.  It's the cable or phone company's connection.  And there are significantly different rules for watching data on a line than for overhearing a conversation in another room.  Just the way it is, read 18 USC 119 if you don't like it.  

Now, I don't think the criminal (who is also violating a different law) has any right to privacy in his illegal traffic, but I'm sure as hell not going to be the guy getting dragged into federal court to fight a stack of federal felonies for wiretapping his traffic.  I'm going to block him and move on, if he's specifically interfering I might pull just enough data to find out where he's coming from (that's specifically authorized in 18 USC 119) and forward it to the ISP but that's about it, and it most likely doesn't require me to monitor his communications.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes, as a courtesy flip all of the images upside down for the intruder.  or you can blur them.

here is a decent how-to:
http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Txl

The Fourth Amendment Does NOT apply to regular citizens.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

18 USC 119 certainly does.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

yes, as a courtesy flip all of the images upside down for the intruder.  or you can blur them.

here is a decent how-to:

ar-jedi

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/shot1.png

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/shot3.png

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/shot5.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

here is a decent how-to:

ar-jedi

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/shot1.png

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/shot3.png

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/shot5.png

Those are always fun...  Those are the nice ones.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Txl

Nobody as of yet, has been successfully prosecuted for this on their own network.

It's legal for an employer to do it, why wouldn't it be legal for a person to do it? Hell, he could make up some terms of service that by connecting to the network, the person agrees to it. Not OP's problem if the person didn't find the document and read it.

Note, it probably is just better to change the password. Being on the same network gives them equal footing. The person using the Wi-Fi can sniff the OP's traffic just as easily. Unless everything he cares about is going through the wired switch portion, he's leaving himself open to getting his email cracked into.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you miss the part about the guy breaking into a password-protected network?

The criminal here, is the guy that broke in.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Like most sizeable businesses, many of us run Intrusion Detection Systems and packet captures/sniffers on both our corporate and home networks with the intent of identifying any malicious activity.  Much of what is being asked depends on intent.  If you intend to compromise another's information on your own network, you *may* be violating law.  If you intend to secure your network or look for signs of compromise with the sniffer, you are not violating law.  Either of these options will get you the same results (data) with the same tools, but intent is what can get people in trouble.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Bullshit.

You are the owner of the wifi network.  You aren't "conducting a wiretapping operation".

We do this every fucking day in a corporate environment.   You own it, you have every right to look at the data that is being passed through it.  If someone else is using it illegally, that is not wiretapping.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Users on your network in a company generally agree to such monitoring either in writing when hired or acceptance of that magic TOU when they login. As employees of the company they can always be monitored as they're using and accessing the data from company equipment. The key thing here is consent - somewhere along the line the user / employee has consented to such monitoring.

An external user connected to your home wifi? Ehhhhhhh quite a bit different and I wouldn't want to get involved. You definitely don't have their consent. Especially if they're doing illegal shit.

View Quote

You don't need their consent.  It is YOUR NETWORK.

Now you can't use your network to gain access to their computer... that would be illegal.  But investigating their unauthorized traffic on your network?  You are 100% within your rights.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you're monitoring someone else's communications without their consent?  Absolutely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Txl

You aren't monitoring their communications.  You are monitoring your own network, which they happen to be connected to without your authorization.   They have no expectation to privacy in such a scenario.  You have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll just block the access, but I gotta say I find it incredible, if true, that it would be illegal for me to capture ANY data on a privately owned network.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was my assumption as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wireshark.

No comprendo.

Good fucking lord you are full of shit.

You aren't "monitoring communication between someone you don't know and say an email server or a SIP server you don't control? "

You are monitoring traffic on YOUR NETWORK.  As long as you don't attempt to gain unauthorized access to either of the end points (the user's device, or the "email server"), then you are well within your rights to look at whatever traffic is on your network.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then don't.

But don't hand out shitty advice when you have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Technically, it's not your connection either.  It's the cable or phone company's connection.  And there are significantly different rules for watching data on a line than for overhearing a conversation in another room.  Just the way it is, read 18 USC 119 if you don't like it.  
View Quote

Technically, again, you are full of shit.   It is not the "cable or phone company's connection."    It doesn't become their network until you pass beyond your router\gateway.    You could shut that gateway down, and you will still have a fully functioning wireless network that is capable of passing data between devices connected to it.   That is YOUR network, and you are well within your rights to examine any traffic on it.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'll just block the access, but I gotta say I find it incredible, if true, that it would be illegal for me to capture ANY data on a privately owned network.
View Quote

It isn't illegal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Well you are wrong sorry dude.

You cannot listen to someone's calls made from your phone in your house without consent. Doesn't matter who owns the equipment. Federal wiretapping laws cover internet access as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You cannot listen to someone's calls made from your phone in your house without consent. Doesn't matter who owns the equipment. Federal wiretapping laws cover internet access as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

That's a different scenario.

If you have equipment hooked up to your phone line to record every call that you make, and someone breaks into your house and places a call using your phone line without your consent, your are absolutely NOT guilty of "federal wiretapping laws" because you have now recorded their conversation.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
sideways question, what tipped you off?  I wouldn't know what to look for if someone is hacking into my network
View Quote

OP sees the flashy traffic light on his router/modem when he is not on the computer and doesn't realize it is his phone catching email, text, and app updates.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#47]
So was the password "Password1" or "Admin"?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Like most sizeable businesses, many of us run Intrusion Detection Systems and packet captures/sniffers on both our corporate and home networks with the intent of identifying any malicious activity.  Much of what is being asked depends on intent.  If you intend to compromise another's information on your own network, you *may* be violating law.  If you intend to secure your network or look for signs of compromise with the sniffer, you are not violating law.  Either of these options will get you the same results (data) with the same tools, but intent is what can get people in trouble.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#49]
This is why I have a 1mbit guest wifi network that has a splash page that explicitly says I'm going to monitor everything you do and you consent to this by using my wifi.  Then I randomly fuck with them on a squid proxy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't know if it's legal but if you ever have a problem you can  just say the NSA does it too, right?

@ OP: how do you have the security set up on your router? If you are using basic security even if you change the key the guy can just crack it again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top