Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2015 2:22:38 PM EDT
Cross-posted from the Ham Radio forum...

For those that are interested in these SoC/SBC, ARM computers:

A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1
Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10.

For the last six months we’ve been working closely with Microsoft to bring the forthcoming Windows 10 to Raspberry Pi 2. Microsoft will have much more to share over the coming months. The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers.
View Quote

FWIW, I've had a ton of fun with these.  It's great to see an upgrade, since RPi support is, by far, the best.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've got one.

It's not bad.  The support and community for RPi is more robust, though.  

I've ran in to a few "bugs" with the ODroid, although nothing that was a hard stop. I bought it when it was new to the market, so that was expected.  I'm not putting it down.  It's a solid product with some people who are putting in work to make it better.  It's good performance, for the price.

Quoted:
Still no sata port, so the Banana Pi still has one leg up on it for the same amount of money.

http://www.bananapi.org/p/product.html

I haven't tried the Banana Pi, yet.  If I go with something that I want to strap a HDD or SSD to, then it's on the short list.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got one.

I've ran in to a few "bugs" with the ODroid, although nothing that was a hard stop. I bought it when it was new to the market, so that was expected.  I'm not putting it down.  It's a solid product with some people who are putting in work to make it better.  It's good performance, for the price.
View Quote

Can you let me know what doesn't work with it? I was hoping to buy a couple to use for remote monitoring. The snap-on EMMC module is pretty interesting, since that leaves the sd card for recording data without IO contention
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can you let me know what doesn't work with it? I was hoping to buy a couple to use for remote monitoring. The snap-on EMMC module is pretty interesting, since that leaves the sd card for recording data without IO contention
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got one.

Sure.  Let me start by saying that I may have misspoke when I wrote that.  I'm not a seasoned enough user to say it was the platform versus the user.  It was more that documentation and fixes weren't as easily accessible as the RPi

Most of the "bugs" that I encountered have been worked out, and I've slept since then , so I'm not going to go in to them due to lack of memory. Simple fixes worked, like editing config files, but I am/was relatively new to Linux.

I had to (and you may as well) modify the initial config boot file to run the proper display settings. I had issues initially loading the OS, but they were, probably, user error...

I loaded a Lubuntu image on mine, which is all I've loaded at this point, and wanted to use it as a VPN server running OpenVPN to replace my old VPN RPi.  I never could get it to work.  The vpn server never would start.  

I wouldn't let my statement above deter you from getting one, it was more that every problem I encountered with my Pi had already been documented by someone else.  The only downside of the ODroid was less time and less users, so get one and try it.  It is a solid platform, though.

I have not used the emmc module.  I used sd.

I, actually, plan to do something similar with a few SBCs.  I plan to put them in for family members who tend to need help with their networks, like my 65 year old dad.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you say Windows 10 on Pi????????????????

I am crying on the inside.

That is the most awful thing I have heard on the internet in a long, long time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol.  Whether you're a fan or not, it opens the platform up to more apps and developers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been considering picking up some variant of the Pi, however right now I don't have a need for one a this time.  Right now I have a collection of old pc's that work well enough for learning on, so buying new hardware without a defined purpose is hard to justify.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lol.  Whether you're a fan or not, it opens the platform up to more apps and developers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A FREE copy of Windows 10 at that. I am actually considering talking to my boss to see if he would expense a half dozen or so. Would be nice to have a tiny little device that we could plug in to do things that simply just work better on Windows. This is coming from a guy that hasn't used Windows since 98 was the new hottness.

* I am looking at you, DRAC 7 *

I have a Pi on order and it should be here by the end of the month. Going to put OSMC on it, and play around with Plex and the plugin they offer.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A FREE copy of Windows 10 at that. I am actually considering talking to my boss to see if he would expense a half dozen or so. Would be nice to have a tiny little device that we could plug in to do things that simply just work better on Windows. This is coming from a guy that hasn't used Windows since 98 was the new hottness.

I have a Pi on order and it should be here by the end of the month. Going to put OSMC on it, and play around with Plex and the plugin they offer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I really want to replace my old PS3 for my main media center device. As soon as I get to do some trial and error, I will be glad to post my experience. My second experiment is going to be making a bread proofing box with temp/humidity control.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Where is a good place to buy the Pi 2 from? One that isn't going to price gouge.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Supply and demand on PI 2 model B has driven prices up.  I would wait until I see it on amazon for the ~35 dollar price, anymore and the seller is marking it up.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:59:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Where is a good place to buy the Pi 2 from? One that isn't going to price gouge.
View Quote

I ordered mine directly from one of the main distributors, Newark element14. $43.65 shipped. Matter of fact, they just sent me an email saying mine shipped. Should be here mid next week.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a B and a B+

my coworker bought two 2's

I'll be ordering some after I get paid.

huge leap for the RPi.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

All are backordered, as of now, but here is one place taking backorders.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/en-US/raspberry-pi

Adafruit is good.  I'm on a notification list with them.

Element 14 is an authorized dealer.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Element 14 redirects to MCM
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Just realized that I am going to need a IR receiver. Anyone have any recommendations. My remote is going to be a Harmony One, so whatever works best with the Pi.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:01:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Received my Pi2 the other day and had a chance to play with it a bit. Was a breeze to install OpenElec, hook it up to my TV, and start streaming content from my media server. Just finished configuring Plex server, and will have to try out the plugin available on OpenElec. For it to be really useful I need to wait until my IR sensor shows up. My initial impression is that for ~$50 its a damn fine completely open source media center.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Received my Pi2 the other day and had a chance to play with it a bit. Was a breeze to install OpenElec, hook it up to my TV, and start streaming content from my media server. Just finished configuring Plex server, and will have to try out the plugin available on OpenElec. For it to be really useful I need to wait until my IR sensor shows up. My initial impression is that for ~$50 its a damn fine completely open source media center.
View Quote

Do you know if I have to go to Android to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime, or are other options available?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#23]
ordered my RPi 2 a couple days ago. might be here tomorrow.

I did get another Arduino Uno in the mail today...
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine showed up in the mail a few days ago, I just now downloaded Noobs and have installed it on a card. I will fire it up for the first time in the morning and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Mine got here Monday :D  About to put snappy on it and get it up and running!

Noobs didn't work for me, it encountered some kind of error
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#26]
got mine, haven't opened it up yet though

it's my 3rd RPi.. (B and B+ are the other two)

I think I fixed the reason I bought the RPi-2, which was crappy audio out of the 3.5mm audio jack on the B+.. I switched to HDMI and it works just fine..
was going to exploit the RPi-2 faster speeds... now I guess I can find something else to do with it
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where did you order yours from?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MCM is the main supplier and where I got mine from

There are a few on ebay, but they wanted more than MCM (when I ordered one anyway)
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I ordered a RPi 2 kit off of Amazon yesterday.  It should be here Monday.  Gonna do a xbmc load on it.

Happy Pi Day!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Mine is sitting next to me. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep thinking of things to do then the more I think about it i realize it really isn't useful. At least in my case.

I still want one of the stupid things though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ARM processor - that means you'll be getting the Win RT version of Windows 10, right?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I keep thinking of things to do then the more I think about it i realize it really isn't useful. At least in my case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I ssh or vnc to it and  think, "Hmm, now what?"
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm interested in these but i'm pretty illiterate when it comes to computers, I get it it's a small computer so it can execute programs in a small package.

How to I make programs for it that do what I want? otherwise it's just another method of looking at cat pictures. I'm interested in making a small package device that will copy thumb drives and SD/micro SD cards to a thumb drive. Like I can take a dozen little drives and plug them in and it will rip them into individual copy folders on my larger thumb drive without any clicking or prompting.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm interested in these but i'm pretty illiterate when it comes to computers, I get it it's a small computer so it can execute programs in a small package.

How to I make programs for it that do what I want? otherwise it's just another method of looking at cat pictures. I'm interested in making a small package device that will copy thumb drives and SD/micro SD cards to a thumb drive. Like I can take a dozen little drives and plug them in and it will rip them into individual copy folders on my larger thumb drive without any clicking or prompting.
View Quote

The red highlights sum it up.  like any other pc, you'll either need an existing application or have some scripting or programming knowledge.  If you have a spare pc sitting around, you can experiment with that until you have a specific reason for the Pi's features or form factor.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:54:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Again, banana Pi or Pro is the much better deal and does have a IR on board.  As for the two, pro is the better deal for only slightly more.
Its around the same price as a Rpi, but has a Sata port to plug in a HD  if you needed (and yes, fast I/O speed using the sata port, as well as being able to use the HD as a boot up drive as well).
http://www.lemaker.org/

And here are the  per-imaged available operating systems (pro in this case, but the same for the pi as well).
http://www.lemaker.org/resources/9-38/image_files.html

Note, when formatting and loading the SD cards, you will need to use PhoenixCard software (for windows only) to format and image the SD. Below is the link and once you have the OS and SD loaded and the Banana up and running, easy to just transfer the OS over to the HD connected so the Banana will load/start up from it instead.  The Banana can use a SD card up to 64G, but in today's world, 64g's is not a lot of memory if you are using it for storage as well (back to USB ports/ memory devices and the slower I/O out speed that comes with them).
http://www.lemaker.org/resources/9-86/android_for_bananapi.html

As for the Rpi, rumors down the road that on a upgrade will have a sata port, but that is years away before it sees the light of day.  
Bluntly the Rpi was a great  inexpensive device when it first came out, but the designers stayed too doormat with the design for too long, and fell back to it sales through the development of the third party impediments of the device instead.  
View Quote

I've got a both the Raspberry Pi 2, and the Banana Pi Pro.   Last I checked I didn't think you could boot from SATA.  You had to boot from the micro SD card and then load from SATA.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I wish someone would make some effing software that didn't crash every so often.
how hard should it be for to do so for fixed hardware?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a both the Raspberry Pi 2, and the Banana Pi Pro.   Last I checked I didn't think you could boot from SATA.  You had to boot from the micro SD card and then load from SATA.

http://forum.lemaker.org/thread-11997-1-1-.html

Which was my point.   The actual boot device is the micro SD card.   It then loads from the SATA device but it's a kludge.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Well I finally bought one since the Microcenter by me had the Pi2's on sale for $30. Brainstorming for ideas now....
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top