Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 1:06:55 PM EDT
My wife purchased a Dell with dual monitors over the Christmas holiday.

It has a single video card.  I purchased a splitter cable so that I could hook up both monitors to the single monitor port.

I get video to both monitors, but it simply mirrors the monitors.  When I choose "Identify" from the graphics control panel, both ID as "1"

When I use the keyboard shortcuts, it still fails to recognize that there are two separate monitors.

I tend to micro-manage purchases, but, she wanted me to sit back and let her purchase what she felt she needed.  I can get specs if needed, but, this was her PC purchase and since it was ordered with dual monitors, I really expected it to be simply plug and play.

What am I missing here?  Wrong cable type?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Better video card.  $75

Txl
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
if you open the display manager, there should be an option to mirror displays. turn this off.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't your graphics card have two individual DVI inputs for the monitors?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

many don't, they use DVI-D dual link and you use a splitter.

like this
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Better video card.  $75

Txl
View Quote

This.

Dell has a habit of building boxes to a price-point - if the box is not advertised as specifically supporting 2 monitors, it will not. On the other hand, Dell is usually very good at providing all the proper cables. Again, if it didn't include the proper cable(s) guess what?

As TxL suggested, you probably need a better video card, rather than the basic on-board video that Dell built onto the motherboard.

Make sure that the video card you get will support the 2 monitors that you have - correct number and types of ports. Typically you will have to disable the on-board video, in the BIOS, and run both monitors off the new video card.

Good luck - getting it all going may include ice cubes and suitable beverage.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
There needs to be two separate display outputs.

A splitter simply splits the signal. It can't do anything but mirror the displays.

Post a picture of the ports in the back.

Quoted:

like this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

like this

Dual link does not mean what you think it does.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I video splitter is going to do just that... split the SAME signal to both monitors.  

You need either a second port on the video card (which you obviously dont have), a better video card that includes 2 distinct ports (assuming your video card CAN be changed) or you can buy something like a USB video adapter.

Something cheap like this will work if you are only doing basic stuff:

You may have to buy a nicer one if you want to use high resolutions or do anything advanced with it.  I use the EVGA one to drive a 24" monitor (as a 3rd monitor) off my macbook at work:

Also on a side note, can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong with the damn links?!?!  I know you can post a whole link as a word, but the link editor thing is drivnig me nuts and I dont have patience to figure it out right now....
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]
A dual output DVI interface on a Dell does not look like a normal DVI port and ships with the correct adapter.  A third party splitter doesn't split, it's a duplicator.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if you open the display manager, there should be an option to mirror displays. turn this off.
View Quote

Tried that.  Didn't work.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A splitter simply splits the signal. It can't do anything but mirror the displays.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

like this

No need.  I just went in there and triple checked that I was not overlooking another video out port.  There is only the single, standard, VGA monitor port.

Looks like I will be upgrading the video card to add the support needed.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A dual output DVI interface on a Dell does not look like a normal DVI port and ships with the correct adapter.  A third party splitter doesn't split, it's a duplicator.
View Quote

Yay for proprietary connectors!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a cheap USB to VGA adapter for my second monitor and it works great.  I think it was $30 at BB.

You can stack them too if you run more than 2 monitors(thinking of adding a third on my home PC)
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there a Dell Display port on the motherboard?  Will look like either an HDMI port or a microUSB port on steroids.  If so, then then make sure it's enabled in the BIOS and you have a mini display port cable:

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No need.  I just went in there and triple checked that I was not overlooking another video out port.  There is only the single, standard, VGA monitor port.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

like this

TRG

Txl
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

like this

TRG

Txl

I'll be using the money I win from you to pay for it.

TRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top