Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 2:49:24 AM EDT
Maybe not servers, but at least always on computers.

My Plex server is due an upgrade, and I am going to run a few other services on it that will require frequent writes.  I am planning on an SSD for OS (Windows 7), and a spinner for other things.

I need to read and get up to speed on the tweaks that one must do to Windows 7 to make the OS not prematurely destroy the SSD.

Is anyone running an SSD in an always on PC, specifically one that is a server, or server-like?  Have the newer SSDs improved in terms of life expectancy?  I have shied away from SSDs for years, but articles I've read lately seem to claim they will out live spinners!  That is something considering I have a few hard disks from the early 1990s that still run fine.  Then again my 512MB USB 1.0 flash drive from many moons ago still works.  And that's flash memory.  Although I didn't use it every day as an OS drive.

Is now the time for my to take the plunge?  If Windows 7 EOL's before the drive fails, I will be pleased.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have plenty of VMs running Tier 1 storage that uses SSDs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#2]
No problems. Far better IO perf.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Be sure to check that TRIM is enabled and you should be fine. Our VM farm at work runs on SSD and it doesn't fail any more or less than the spinning rust it replaced.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#4]
SSDs have come along way.  I've got one in every home PC/Laptop.  My desktop is always running.  The OS drive is an SSD, and I have two other SSDs in it that run VMs. Haven't had any problems with them so far.

I wouldn't hesitate to put one in for an OS drive.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
SSD drives are so worth it.  Samsung has some great ones.  And to those that say you have tier 1 storage at work hosting VM's on SSD drives I hate you...
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SSD drives are so worth it.  Samsung has some great ones.  And to those that say you have tier 1 storage at work hosting VM's on SSD drives I hate you...
View Quote

My work lab is on the same storage as the production servers.  Because that's just how I roll.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:52:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have the newer SSDs improved in terms of life expectancy?
View Quote

Yes, they have.   You're talking a full-drive-capacity of writes, every day, for five years straight to wear them out.  In more realistic scenarios, of the Intel SSDs I've put into home and business desktops over the past few years, I haven't yet seen one go more than 1 or 2% into the rated write cycles of the drive.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be sure to check that TRIM is enabled and you should be fine. Our VM farm at work runs on SSD and it doesn't fail any more or less than the spinning rust it replaced.
View Quote

Even without TRIM, they'll last a very long time.  I ran an old Intel drive (310 or 510) in an XP laptop for two years, never did do any garbage reclamation on it.  The machine was still snappy fast, and the wear indicator hadn't yet budged from 0% to 1%.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
You won't wear out a modern SSD. Don't worry about it.

My desktop at home is using a Crucial M4 256GB SSD I got a couple years ago or so. Store media on an external drive. You don't get much performance gain by putting your media on the SSD. Traditional drives can stream the data faster than your TV or whatever will play it.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
The new Samsung 850s are the shit. Highly recommended

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have two, 256k ones running raid 0 for 512M.  Holy crap are they fast with this striped volume running Win 8..

I'd never run scary raid with hard drives, but with SSD's it's a lot safer.  Still have to do regular backups just in case.  All my data and Plex server is on my separate 10Tb home NAS (running freeNAS).
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My work lab is on the same storage as the production servers.  Because that's just how I roll.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hate is strong towards you...Seriously hate you..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top