Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 1:45:46 PM EDT
So which is it?  XenServer, Hyper-V or vSphere/vCenter/ESXi?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
vSphere and vCenter because it has the most functionality.  VMware is way ahead of the competition.

If you are talking about for home use then it really doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

vSphere and vCenter because it has the most functionality.  VMware is way ahead of the competition.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm actually looking for just an in-depth discussion of virtualization infrastructure in general.  I agree VMware is way out ahead when it comes to functionality and possibly even scale.  But, it's goddamn expensive.  In my consulting job I wind up pushing a lot of Hyper-V because the cost to get it started is waaaaay cheaper.  Most clients already have windows servers that can be converted, or don't balk at replacement costs that are in line with what they spent before with the simple inclusion of a few hours of billable labor to deploy the whole thing over the top of Hyper-V.

Even from a SMB standpoint 2012R2 Essentials + Hyper-v are a fantastic way for small businesses to get the benefits of virtual infrastructure without spending what it would take to go VMware.

I'm not a particular fan of XenServer, and Citrix isn't either judging by the fact that the whole XenServer project has been turned over to the open source community.  However, I see Citrix as having a way bigger foothold in App virtualization and VDI than anyone else.  VMware View is a joke, RDS with App-V is barely mature (but catching up), and Citrix has been in the remote application game since before VMware was a company.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm actually looking for just an in-depth discussion of virtualization infrastructure in general.  I agree VMware is way out ahead when it comes to functionality and possibly even scale.  But, it's goddamn expensive.  In my consulting job I wind up pushing a lot of Hyper-V because the cost to get it started is waaaaay cheaper.  Most clients already have windows servers that can be converted, or don't balk at replacement costs that are in line with what they spent before with the simple inclusion of a few hours of billable labor to deploy the whole thing over the top of Hyper-V.

Even from a SMB standpoint 2012R2 Essentials + Hyper-v are a fantastic way for small businesses to get the benefits of virtual infrastructure without spending what it would take to go VMware.

I'm not a particular fan of XenServer, and Citrix isn't either judging by the fact that the whole XenServer project has been turned over to the open source community.  However, I see Citrix as having a way bigger foothold in App virtualization and VDI than anyone else.  VMware View is a joke, RDS with App-V is barely mature (but catching up), and Citrix has been in the remote application game since before VMware was a company.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure I'd be helpful for a in-depth discussion of anything but VMware. I have no interest in looking at any other product than the best one available.  I support over 5000 VMs for a SaaS company.  We would never run our prod environment on anything else.  It's obviously more expensive given that I still have to license each host with a Windows Datacenter license.  How do you manage the hosts?  What is the largest environment you've set up?  Do the smaller shops purchase licensing for SCCM for management?  I don't keep up with SMB options but for most I'm sure Hyper-V would work fine for them.  I would just hate to manage hosts individually.  

I would have to look at pricing but EVO Rail or EVO Rack may be helpful for smaller shops as they could easily scale up as needed.

I've seen good things with Horizon View at VMworld but I still need to put in a lab to test it out. Citrix has been doing app virtualization longer but I fucking hate supporting XenApp.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

+1
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I'd be helpful for a in-depth discussion of anything but VMware. I have no interest in looking at any other product than the best one available.  I support over 5000 VMs for a SaaS company.  We would never run our prod environment on anything else.  It's obviously more expensive given that I still have to license each host with a Windows Datacenter license.  How do you manage the hosts?  What is the largest environment you've set up?  Do the smaller shops purchase licensing for SCCM for management?  I don't keep up with SMB options but for most I'm sure Hyper-V would work fine for them.  I would just hate to manage hosts individually.  

I would have to look at pricing but EVO Rail or EVO Rack may be helpful for smaller shops as they could easily scale up as needed.

I've seen good things with Horizon View at VMworld but I still need to put in a lab to test it out. Citrix has been doing app virtualization longer but I fucking hate supporting XenApp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An environment of that size I totally agree, VMware all the way.  I'm a Hyper-V guy, and if the environment is big enough, they go SCCM but the 1-10 VM shops I just do simple fail-over replication on either shared storage or block level replication from host to host, the VMs are easy enough to manage with the Hyper-V snap-in and of course SCCM is SCCM.  But managing only 2 hosts and 5-10 VMs is really not a terrible en-devour.  The nice thing about Hyper-V is that it's REALLY easy to talk the customer into doing it, because they all have random Windows servers laying around and you just add the Hyper-V role and you've got something to work with and no purchase necessary.  Then once they see how useful virtual stuff is, it's easy to talk them into keeping it up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
An environment of that size I totally agree, VMware all the way.  I'm a Hyper-V guy, and if the environment is big enough, they go SCCM but the 1-10 VM shops I just do simple fail-over replication on either shared storage or block level replication from host to host, the VMs are easy enough to manage with the Hyper-V snap-in and of course SCCM is SCCM.  But managing only 2 hosts and 5-10 VMs is really not a terrible en-devour.  The nice thing about Hyper-V is that it's REALLY easy to talk the customer into doing it, because they all have random Windows servers laying around and you just add the Hyper-V role and you've got something to work with and no purchase necessary.  Then once they see how useful virtual stuff is, it's easy to talk them into keeping it up.
View Quote

With environments that small Hyper-V is the clear winner.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing I would love, is figuring out how to centrally manage all my clients Hyper-V environments without running into stupid licensing issues.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I use ESXI at home.  Absolutely love it's ease of use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#10]
ESXi/vsphere, because View. Absolutely love it for my call center.  Compared to discretes, it eliminated the equivalent of one full time support person.  It also hugely reduced power consumption, with subsequent gains in A/C demands, UPS battery demands, and generator fuel.  Increased costs were negated with the first year of use, with everything else being savings and gravy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ESXi/vsphere, because View. Absolutely love it for my call center.  Compared to discretes, it eliminated the equivalent of one full time support person.  It also hugely reduced power consumption, with subsequent gains in A/C demands, UPS battery demands, and generator fuel.  Increased costs were negated with the first year of use, with everything else being savings and gravy.
View Quote

Back when I did telephony stuff for large call centers, View was used A LOT.  You're not alone in that assessment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm running ESXi 5.5 at home. It's free and I want to learn it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

My lab equipment actually has too many cores to run the free version.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:27:05 AM EDT
[#14]
ESX because I work there?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hook a brotha up with some licenses yo!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you can still run it, but it won't use them.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#17]
vsphere for 95%

XenServer for vGPU functionality (See nvidia K1 & K2)  

The vGPU functionality is still in beta for vmware
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#18]
ESXi 5.5 with vSphere. You can get a free license for up to 16 CPU's IIRC. It's quite nice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#19]
As of right now Hyper-v  but we are working on getting VMWare.  If the fucking DoD procurement system wasn't such a goat fuck we would have already had it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
vsphere for 95%

View Quote

I virtualized a K2 with ESXi for View without any problems at all.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
vsphere for 95%

I'm sure you did, I've done it too.  However vGPU is still in early access and not fully supported so we can't release on that platform until it's "ready" by vmware standards.  

If you're saying that you "virtualized a K2" without using the vGPU early access stuff then you used vSGA or vDGA which for many cases work just fine.   But to leverage the functionality of the GRID cards you have really have got to have the vGPU stuff working
I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing, just lots of people misunderstand vGPU especially when it comes to vmware so I took the opportunity to clarify a little.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:00:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Openstack with KVM for the win.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But my Hyper-V 2012R2 uses all of them.  So....yeah.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
vsphere for 95%

View Quote

I was invited by Citrix and Nvidia to a demo of the vGPU, it looks neat as all hell.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're the first person I've seen actually use OpenStack and KVM in a production environment.  Thoughts and impressions on it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You're the first person I've seen actually use OpenStack and KVM in a production environment.  Thoughts and impressions on it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some work to get up and running.  Awesome after that.  Redhat support is really good.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Some work to get up and running.  Awesome after that.  Redhat support is really good.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard rumors that RedHat is going to start selling such a setup commercially.  If such an offering was around, and not a terrible price point, would you have selected it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgive my ignorance.  What do you use to manage it?  How is the feature set?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RedHat has a commercial tool they sell for managing KVM Hypervisors, and ostensibly opencloud,  I have zero experience with it though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top