Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 7:59:14 PM EDT
to replace my no-frills LENOVO SL40.  

When I bought the SL410, I just wanted a basic and dependable machine, which it was.  I did have a hard drive failure a while back, which was fixed by having a WD Black Widow HD (I think that's what it was) installed.  The lap top has run well since then, but I recently got infected with a virus (PC REIMAGE VIRUST) that AVAST and MALWARE ADBYTES can not clean.  It REALLY bogs down the computer and makes is run S-L-O-W, which is why I'm using my work laptop, a 15" HP laptop.  I'm thinking of taking the Lenovo to get cleaned up, but I'm also thinking about buying something else, something better.

Sooo, I'm looking for 13" to, possibly, a 15" lap top that is robust, dependable and not too heavy.  I'm thinking that getting a laptop with an SSD drive would also be a requirement, as they appear to be more dependable than standard HD.  I did go to the Apple store and those laptops look awesome, but, man, they sure are expensive!  In addition, the Apple tech-dude, who was pretty candid, reported that their version of MS OFFICE isn't perfect.  I need to be able to be able to use PDF files for CPS/APS report and be able to use Microsoft Word docs with templates from my second job.  I do have a work computer, so, I guess that a moot point.  

At any rate, what PC laptops would you guys recommend?  I'm looking for something reliable and dependable.  Even though I'm not using the laptop to run heavy duty programs, edit music, use Photoshop, or designing the next US air superiority fighter, I want something with more power and capability than my lowly SL410.

Help me out, ARFCOM.

By the way, I do have an iPhone, but, so I'm not an Apple hater, I just can't get over the price of their laptops.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not stick with Lenovo?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Touch screens and removable or flipable tablet screens have taken over and in the next couple years a computer without these features will be fairly useless. In the next couple years touch screen programs are going to be the standard just as on smart phones so I would get a touch screen computer no matter the make or processor.
Anything in the amda8 or Intel i5 or better range is going to be fine for most people.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Check this out:  ThinkPad T440s Ultrabook
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check this out:  ThinkPad T440s Ultrabook
View Quote

looks like a sweet  little overpriced laptop. i have me one of their Y series laptops and that thing is bad ass.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because lenovo turned to shit.

This is a good option that fits your needs:

Edit, link is wonky.

Dell Latitude 14 5000 series (e5450) on the dell business site.

$1259 config.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e5450-laptop/pd

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What model do you have?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
This one looks nice and light:  Lenovo X1 Carbon
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the one I had in mind, but I didn't know how much you wanted to spend.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
imo i would look into pricing a laptop without the ssd and see if its cheaper for you to put it in after as manufactures tend to upcharge on them. normally its not to hard to put one in and re install windows but that may be me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

For that price, get a 13" Macbook Air.  That one is only rated 3 1/2 stars.  I didn't read reviews but that would bother me for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#12]
What's your budget?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If that's your price range and specs, you should take a second look at a 13" Macbook Air.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's your budget?
View Quote

I'm thinking $1500.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm thinking $1500.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your budget?

I'm thinking $1500.

For that budget it's not even a question.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE293LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

Edit:

Even if your not a fan of OSX, I use this as my work machine running Windows 8.1.  That laptop has enough horsepower to run it virtualized using Parallels or VMWare, or if you want full performance install Windows with bootcamp.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Lot of folks I work with have been using the T440s with the high-res display and SSD and love it.  Similar alternatives at work are the MB Pro's and the MS Surface Pro 3.   The Surface Pro 3 looks promising and those using them love them, but it's new so the durability/longevity is yet to be seen.

I'm still using using an older T430s  (Core-I7,12G RAM, SSD) and it's been great.  I've had good luck with the Lenovo T-series laptops over the last 8 years or so.  Sturdy and they just seem to work.  

One of my kids purchased a Lenovo Y500 gaming laptop and it's worked well for him, however the gimicky key-caps are starting to peel in a few places.  He's not running SLI, but has that option.  I think the trade-off is gaming horse-power and larger display vs. durability.  

Given your budget, the 440s and MB Pro's (I'd go refurbed as suggested) seem like a good choice if you're okay with the size.   If you're going to just run Windows with no interested in OSX, I'd go with the Lenovo.   I believe the Carbon caps out at 8GB of RAM which I have a problem with for what I do, otherwise it looks like it'd bee a cool "go to meeting/read email/light office/surf" type laptop.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#17]
ASUS G750

I know you said you wanted an SSD but you could always add one later on
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]
check out arrowdirect.com

just got a nice T420 for 249 with a %50 off code. you can find the %50 off codes floating around if you search. mine was a 'b' condition laptop and I couldn't find a scratch on it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:46:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the additional information, as I'm still looking around.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]
MACBOOK.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

I bought a MacBook in 08 and used it for work. It was solid. Used Fusion and had 2-3 Windows VMs running on it most of the time. I think ONE time in about 1.5 years, it purple screened on me. Sold it when I got another job and didn't need it. I regretted it. Later on I picked up a MacBook Air, but it was an older model. I tried a couple Windows laptops, then a Windows tablet... then came back to Mac with the 13" MBP I bought from my roommate last year. Fuggin love it. I'll never use another type of laptop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top