Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2014 3:38:07 AM EDT
I currently have an SSD for boot and HDD for storage.
I would like to get another SSD to put some of my Steam games on for faster load times. I'd rather not have my games on my boot SSD, although I do have enough space for a few games.

How can I transfer certain games to a separate SSD?

Would I loose any data/saves?

I am also considering replacing my 1Tb HDD with a 1Tb SSD, but that depends on how much I am willing to pay.

I've never replaced a hard drive, so I am not sure how to do it correctly without messing up what I already have.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Save the steam save files on a separate are of the boot SSD for now, the easiest way to make steam work again is to re-download all of the games. Making a new steam library on the new drive, I did this a few months ago, I originally just transferred all of the files over but the way steam works, it was not happy, some games worked others did not, it was easier for me just to delete them all and start over. I have unlimited downloads, and a 500mb connection just set it to download all 500gbs and left for the weekend when I came back they were all done. Some of the data saves are stored in the cloud, others are not, any game that is run outside of steam like through Ubisofts loader are stored on the cloud. Other saves are in each data folder, so one you download the files its usually as simple as copying each individual save file back into it's respective folder.

Installation is really no different than any other drive, except for having to install a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for the drive bay. Connect the SATA cable let your motherboard, and then windows find it, format and start copying.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Save the steam save files on a separate are of the boot SSD for now, the easiest way to make steam work again is to re-download all of the games. Making a new steam library on the new drive, I did this a few months ago, I originally just transferred all of the files over but the way steam works, it was not happy, some games worked others did not, it was easier for me just to delete them all and start over. I have unlimited downloads, and a 500mb connection just set it to download all 500gbs and left for the weekend when I came back they were all done. Some of the data saves are stored in the cloud, others are not, any game that is run outside of steam like through Ubisofts loader are stored on the cloud. Other saves are in each data folder, so one you download the files its usually as simple as copying each individual save file back into it's respective folder.

Installation is really no different than any other drive, except for having to install a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for the drive bay. Connect the SATA cable let your motherboard, and then windows find it, format and start copying.
View Quote

It's not worth having to re-download my games.

My King of the Hill profile on Arma III is too great to start over again

What's this 2.5" to 3.5" adapter nonsense?

I just Velcro my SSD's to a free spot inside the case.

My ROG OC Panel, HDD, and 2 120mm fans take up all the space for "conventional" drive mounting

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top