BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's nice to know.  It further proves how far behind Windows is behind the times on adapting a nice feature.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
8.1 without classic shell isn't that bad.  Just a learning curve, same as migrating form any other version of Windows.  File structure is the same, it's just getting familiar with the new Statt button environment and corner window shortcuts.

One thing I'm looking forward to in Windows 10 is multiple desktops.  That's a feature many linux distros have had for 15 years or so.

Linux distros??  Most(all?) of the Unix windowing environments have had multiple desktops since before linux was even dreamed up.

That's nice to know.  It further proves how far behind Windows is behind the times on adapting a nice feature.

I concur.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
You can spray paint your tower and keyboard beige too...
View Quote

Reminded me of how it was possible to revert back to the Program Manager (progman.exe) from Windows 3x in XP.  If someone complained about navigating in Windows, I could send them back to the early 1990's and prove how much better they have it now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What is there to discuss?  You believe, against all IT best practices and all advice to the contrary, including from the manufacturer who EOL the software, that it is more secure than the currently being updated software on the market. If you worked for me I would throw you out on your ear, because your IT "knowledge" is a complete failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are quite safe, I assure you.  Anyway, like I said, XP is probably much less at risk that win7

That's one of the most absurd assertions I have ever seen on this site.

This is a discussion site.  I'd be happy to discuss it, but apparently all you know is LOL.

What is there to discuss?  You believe, against all IT best practices and all advice to the contrary, including from the manufacturer who EOL the software, that it is more secure than the currently being updated software on the market. If you worked for me I would throw you out on your ear, because your IT "knowledge" is a complete failure.

My point, as stated in my other posts was that XP has been having holes patched for years.  Theoretically, vulnerabilities are harder for hackers to find compared to a brand new OS, and they are more likely to be looking at ways into win7 than XP.  It's not an assertion, but speculation on my part.  The machines that we have running XP are locked down with Solidcore.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Reminded me of how it was possible to revert back to the Program Manager (progman.exe) from Windows 3x in XP.  If someone complained about navigating in Windows, I could send them back to the early 1990's and prove how much better they have it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Right - and XP was a massive improvement. 8's UI offers no improvement, and impedes use unless you're on a tablet. Which is why we have classic shell.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My point, as stated in my other posts was that XP has been having holes patched for years.  Theoretically, vulnerabilities are harder for hackers to find compared to a brand new OS, and they are more likely to be looking at ways into win7 than XP.  It's not an assertion, but speculation on my part.  The machines that we have running XP are locked down with Solidcore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are quite safe, I assure you.  Anyway, like I said, XP is probably much less at risk that win7

That's one of the most absurd assertions I have ever seen on this site.

This is a discussion site.  I'd be happy to discuss it, but apparently all you know is LOL.

It's baseless and incorrect speculation.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Right - and XP was a massive improvement. 8's UI offers no improvement, and impedes use unless you're on a tablet. Which is why we have classic shell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The fuck?

You do realize windows 8 and 8.1 both have desktops, right?

Looks exactly like regular windows desktop. You don't need a damn 3rd party application just to get your "start" button back.

Windows 8.1 is the tits. It operates faster and faster to navigate.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The fuck?

Looks exactly like regular windows desktop. You don't need a damn 3rd party application just to get your "start" button back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fuck?

Actually it doesn't.  I use Windows 8.1 extensively, and the operating system is significantly better than 7 and far above XP -- but the UI is very poorly designed, which is why we have classic shell which restores the functionality MS chose to remove for the users who don't know any better.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Actually it doesn't.  I use Windows 8.1 extensively, and the operating system is significantly better than 7 and far above XP -- but the UI is very poorly designed, which is why we have classic shell which restores the functionality MS chose to remove for the users who don't know any better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fuck?

Everything you need.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fuck?

http://www.bytechip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/windo_key_x.jpg

Everything you need.

Please explain how that is an advantage over the methods we've been using to do this for twenty years.

You don't just randomly change UI designs. MS redesigned Windows for a tablet, when most of the Windows machines are not and never will be tablets.  Nothing about win-x is easier to use or better than the way we've done it since Windows 95, it's just a crutch they threw into windows 8.1 to try to appease the huge number of people who were using classic shell already because of their brain dead UI.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top