Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2014 9:21:16 PM EDT
As in the title!

I can get a hell of a deal through my employers for Windows Office.

The only problem is that I need Windows 7 or higher..will not work on Vista.

So I bought the a full version of Windows 8.1, it will be at my door this coming Tuesday.

What should I do to make this as easy as possible................besides not upgrading!!

If it makes and difference, I will be buying an Ipad Air after Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As in the title!

So I bought the a full version of Windows 8.1, it will be at my door this coming Tuesday.

What should I do to make this as easy as possible................besides not upgrading!!

View Quote

You're going from Vista to Windows 8?  You're a sucker for punishment!  

ETA: Is it too late to change your order to windows 7?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As in the title!

for fucks sake, he'll be fine with 8.1

OP, just make sure you save all of your important documents to external media (unless you have multiple HDD's in your machine).  Also, save yourself some pain and suffering... export your bookmarks from your web browser.  That way you'll be able to import them onto your new OS.

Understand you will need to reinstall any programs you have.  You also may have to install drivers for your system.  This could include motherboard, video card, optical drive, etc.

If your machine is factory built, you should be able to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.  Do this now, and save them to a flash drive or external HDD so you can load them back on after the clean install.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

OP, just make sure you save all of your important documents to external media (unless you have multiple HDD's in your machine).  Also, save yourself some pain and suffering... export your bookmarks from your web browser.  That way you'll be able to import them onto your new OS.

Understand you will need to reinstall any programs you have.  You also may have to install drivers for your system.  This could include motherboard, video card, optical drive, etc.

If your machine is factory built, you should be able to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.  Do this now, and save them to a flash drive or external HDD so you can load them back on after the clean install.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As in the title!

Sorry OP, I didn't notice it was a tech thread.  It's just that Vista and 8 are full of changes only for the sake of change.  7 made Vista tolerable, and I expect 9 will do the same for 8.  I just don't get it.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sorry OP, I didn't notice it was a tech thread.  It's just that Vista and 8 are full of changes only for the sake of change. 7 made Vista tolerable, and I expect 9 will do the same for 8.  I just don't get it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As in the title!

Sorry OP, I didn't notice it was a tech thread.  It's just that Vista and 8 are full of changes only for the sake of change. 7 made Vista tolerable, and I expect 9 will do the same for 8.  I just don't get it.  

eta: ske, Microsoft already announced they are skipping Windows 9 and have released limited test versions of Windows 10.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

eta: ske, Microsoft already announced they are skipping Windows 9 and have released limited test versions of Windows 10.  
View Quote

I hadn't heard about the number skip, but I heard that it looks a lot like windows 7.  

I have several machines with XP, and several with 2003.  I can't put it off forever, but I'm holding out as long as I can.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I skipped over 7 as I figured if I was going to bite the bullet and get away from Vista, I might as well go all the way!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As in the title!

Actually, I built this machine about 11 years ago, I am by no means an expert or technoweinie, but I muddle through!!

If all else fails I can give up on computers and go back to guns and boobies!!

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Actually, I built this machine about 11 years ago, I am by no means an expert or technoweinie, but I muddle through!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As in the title!

I hear ya.... the rig I'm on set me back about 35 lap dances
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Install "Classic Shell" hasn't been posted yet?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, thank god.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Is  "Classic Shell" kinda like a Marilyn Monroe dress on honey boo boo?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's more like training wheels on a Harley Sportser with a lowering kit.

All you gotta do is put your feet down.  Geesh!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, thank god.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, thank god.

I like it. (technically I use Startisback). Even though I can figure out Win 8.1 unlike some people, I prefer to not have my whole screen be taken over by goofy cartoon tiles every time I want to use search or launch a program not in my Quick start bar.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like it. (technically I use Startisback). Even though I can figure out Win 8.1 unlike some people, I prefer to not have my whole screen be taken over by goofy cartoon tiles every time I want to use search or launch a program not in my Quick start bar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, thank god.

This, classic shell is awesome.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#15]
8.1 without classic shell isn't that bad.  Just a learning curve, same as migrating form any other version of Windows.  File structure is the same, it's just getting familiar with the new Statt button environment and corner window shortcuts.

One thing I'm looking forward to in Windows 10 is multiple desktops.  That's a feature many linux distros have had for 15 years or so.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#16]
It should be delivered today, probably after I leave for work {I work 2nd shift}. So tomorrow I should be able to install.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I just went from a laptop with Vista to a laptop with 8.1

It hasn't killed me, but it's a big difference. Not sure if I like it or not.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I have Windows 8.1 installed....what a pain in the ass!!..........Had to do a boot from disk because XP and Vista are 2 programs you cannot update from so you do a clean boot.

Had to go through it 3 times before it took and ran on it's own.

Doing updates now and then will boot from HD and see how that goes.

Just downloaded Firefox and got my bookmarks back in.

More updates later!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I hadn't heard about the number skip, but I heard that it looks a lot like windows 7.  

I have several machines with XP, and several with 2003.  I can't put it off forever, but I'm holding out as long as I can.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope none of those are in any sort of production environment...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?  Just because MS doesn't support them doesn't mean they're going to implode.  If you are thinking of vulnerabilities, MS is to viruses and hacks as the police is to preventing crime.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Why not? Just because MS doesn't support them doesn't mean they're going to implode. If you are thinking of vulnerabilities, MS is to viruses and hacks as the police is to preventing crime.
View Quote

Interesting example.  If you look at a prevention - detection - correction model, preventing an issue saves more time and resources than detecting and correcting it.  An unpatched vulnerability is like a gate door on fence with a inoperable lock that no one will bother fixing.  While it's possible to install a motion detector or camera, you're only detecting the break-in, and still have to audit what was damaged or stolen.  You can increase the intensity to scan for problems, but that will result in using more resources for detecting problems than doing real work.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Interesting example.  If you look at a prevention - detection - correction model, preventing an issue saves more time and resources than detecting and correcting it.  An unpatched vulnerability is like a gate door on fence with a inoperable lock that no one will bother fixing.  While it's possible to install a motion detector or camera, you're only detecting the break-in, and still have to audit what was damaged or stolen.  You can increase the intensity to scan for problems, but that will result in using more resources for detecting problems than doing real work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why not? Just because MS doesn't support them doesn't mean they're going to implode. If you are thinking of vulnerabilities, MS is to viruses and hacks as the police is to preventing crime.

True, but I assume that most of the vulnerabilities are uncovered by hackers, not MS.  They are like the police responding to a crime.  XP has been around long enough that the big holes have most likely been patched.  7 and 8 are probably a bigger risk than XP at this point.

As for "the gate", I have a high degree of confidence in my firewall, and I pay close attention to keeping my machines clean.  We have to have some XP machines at work to support some older system, and we've put McAfee Solidcore on them.  I'm considering trying it on my servers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Find windows 7 What ever computer you have that came with Vista is slow and old by todays standards and Windows 8.1 is a headache trust me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Find windows 7 What ever computer you have that came with Vista is slow and old by todays standards and Windows 8.1 is a headache trust me.
View Quote

No it's not
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#25]
YES IT IS!
Nothing is easy to find,  there is no all programs folder, How would you even scroll sideways without a touch screen? Task manager looks all kinds of goofy, Things are different, in weird places and that gives me a headache.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
YES IT IS!
Nothing is easy to find,  there is no all programs folder, How would you even scroll sideways without a touch screen? Task manager looks all kinds of goofy, Things are different, in weird places and that gives me a headache.
View Quote

Press windows key, go back to desktop mode, use computer normally.

Press windows key, type name of program you want, click program to launch it.

Not sure what you're trying to scroll sideways.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#27]
So far so good, got it all installed and running.

Putting in my usual programs.

I forgot to put my Itunes on my external hard drive, so I have to put all my music in again unless I can find an easy way to get it off my Iphone and into Itunes.

I am finding my way around pretty good....looking for "power management " now.

I have to down load the Microsoft Works, so we will see how that goes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I had troubles with an HP commercial box that was an XP machine, vista compatible.  I loaded Windows 7 pro on it, new clean install, and it would periodically drop the USB ports.  Fairly easy to recover from using a wired mouse or keyboard.  I had to go to the systems config, delete all the usb drivers that had the exclamation mark on them, and then let windows search for new hardware and reinstall the drivers.  We had to do that every couple weeks.  PITA.

The replacement computer has windows 8.  I hate it.  I know everything is there, but finding it is something else again.  The touch screen is loaded with apps we'll never use, I've cleaned up some of them, but I think I'd prefer just having a traditional desktop in front of me.

I'll stick with my macbook.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Everything seems to working out petty well, the system is quick, and I have had not real issues.

The only thing I notice is the Adobe Flash Players is a little finicky, not sure if it is Firefox or Windows.

I am learning my way around,   don't like the Windows 8.1 Games set up, trying to find regular old Solitaire and all I find is Klondike, 3 Peaks and other variations...no big deal.

I am very happy, so far.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Everything seems to working out petty well, the system is quick, and I have had not real issues.

The only thing I notice is the Adobe Flash Players is a little finicky, not sure if it is Firefox or Windows.

I am learning my way around,   don't like the Windows 8.1 Games set up, trying to find regular old Solitaire and all I find is Klondike, 3 Peaks and other variations...no big deal.

I am very happy, so far.
View Quote
Its because flash player is built into IE in Windows 8+, you get your updates for flash player in Windows update now that you are on 8. To get rid of the finickyness, you might want to use a third party browser such as Firefox or Waterfox.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why not?  Just because MS doesn't support them doesn't mean they're going to implode.  If you are thinking of vulnerabilities, MS is to viruses and hacks as the police is to preventing crime.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you're not governed by any sort of of compliance.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#32]
One more little thing.....when I open a new tab, it opens to Yahoo instead of my home page..........how do I fix that, any guesses?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One more little thing.....when I open a new tab, it opens to Yahoo instead of my home page..........how do I fix that, any guesses?
View Quote

Tab in what?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Tab in what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tab in what?
Firefox

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Firefox
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tab in what?
Firefox

What are your browser setting like?

Tools>Options>General
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

YES IT IS!

View Quote

LOL. N00B.

8.1 desktop is best desktop

Push windows key + X and tell me what you see.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I worked at MSN we ran out of exceptions for staying on SQL Server 2000 in 2007 or so and had to upgrade to pre-release 2008 in one step. What a pain.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are quite safe, I assure you.  Anyway, like I said, XP is probably much less at risk that win7
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:54:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?  Classic shell is a great tool to fix the ui mistake MS made with windows 8. I like windows 8, it's what I run on the one windows PC in my house, but the start screen thing isn't a good design choice for a desktop and hides a great deal of necessary function from the user - which classic shell restores.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
8.1 without classic shell isn't that bad.  Just a learning curve, same as migrating form any other version of Windows.  File structure is the same, it's just getting familiar with the new Statt button environment and corner window shortcuts.

One thing I'm looking forward to in Windows 10 is multiple desktops.  That's a feature many linux distros have had for 15 years or so.
View Quote

Linux distros??  Most(all?) of the Unix windowing environments have had multiple desktops since before linux was even dreamed up.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:56:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Dear god.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
YES IT IS!
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I had troubles with an HP commercial box that was an XP machine, vista compatible.  I loaded Windows 7 pro on it, new clean install, and it would periodically drop the USB ports.  Fairly easy to recover from using a wired mouse or keyboard.  I had to go to the systems config, delete all the usb drivers that had the exclamation mark on them, and then let windows search for new hardware and reinstall the drivers.  We had to do that every couple weeks.  PITA.

The replacement computer has windows 8.  I hate it.  I know everything is there, but finding it is something else again.  The touch screen is loaded with apps we'll never use, I've cleaned up some of them, but I think I'd prefer just having a traditional desktop in front of me.

View Quote

Just install classic shell- it will seriously make your windows 8 machine look just like  windows  7.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They are quite safe, I assure you.  Anyway, like I said, XP is probably much less at risk that win7
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one of the most absurd assertions I have ever seen on this site.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just install classic shell- it will seriously make your windows 8 machine look just like  windows  7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can spray paint your tower and keyboard beige too...
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

?  Classic shell is a great tool to fix the ui mistake MS made with windows 8. I like windows 8, it's what I run on the one windows PC in my house, but the start screen thing isn't a good design choice for a desktop and hides a great deal of necessary function from the user - which classic shell restores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all there and better, unless the user is the "press button, receive cookie" type which I admit are many.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a discussion site.  I'd be happy to discuss it, but apparently all you know is LOL.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is a discussion site.  I'd be happy to discuss it, but apparently all you know is LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is there to discuss?  You believe, against all IT best practices and all advice to the contrary, including from the manufacturer who EOL the software, that it is more secure than the currently being updated software on the market. If you worked for me I would throw you out on your ear, because your IT "knowledge" is a complete failure.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Linux distros??  Most(all?) of the Unix windowing environments have had multiple desktops since before linux was even dreamed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice to know.  It further proves how far behind Windows is behind the times on adapting a nice feature.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's all there and better, unless the user is the "press button, receive cookie" type which I admit are many.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it really isn't.  The ui in 8 is inefficient at best for anything that is not a tablet. There are probably ways to improve on the start menu, but they didn't figure it out in 8.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top