Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2014 12:04:19 PM EDT
I have a W7 PC that I am getting signals out of on the parallel port lines.  Normally, everything is fine and I can just take the parallel port signal and do with it what I need.  However, if the PC reboots, it looks like the parallel lines toggle back and forth between HI/LO states, which is less than ideal.

Is there a way to keep them low at boot time and only have the lines go high when the software on the PC is sending data that would necessitate such a s state?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Is Strobe toggling also? If so, is it inverted in respect to the other pins?

ETA: The point behind my question is that Strobe should be low when the port is trying to write valid data. If all pins are toggling in unison during boot, Strobe will be high when the data pins are high. If Strobe is high, you can ignore the outputs. This could be implemented in hardware or software depending on your application.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the lead.

It looks like strobe and other control pins stays at nominal +5v (logic LO).  If it changes when data pins go HI at boot, I don't see it.  I'm not writing to them at that point, so I don't know if if they're just bugging out or if the PC is "writing valid data" that is making them toggle.

Looking into the behavior of the various pins during boot to see if there is something there that I can use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top