Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2014 10:43:51 AM EDT
I'm building a 4-disk unRAID box and would like to backup my OS SSD and Data HDD to it.  Some features I'd like to have are; scheduled backups, incremental/syncing backup, ability to control number of stored backups/automatic backup trimming.  Is there any free/cheap software that can do this?

Currently I have my OS+Apps on my SSD, data/games on my HDD, and DeltaCopy is incrementally syncing that Data HDD to another HDD for some redundancy.   My most important files on that HDD are backed up on a free iDrive account and that will still be the case after I move over to this image/NAS backup solution.

The unRAID box is a LaCie Ethernet Disk(1u) and will have 4x 1-2TB WD Reds in it and unRAID running off of a low-profile USB flash drive.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You're gonna find it difficult to get something that does all that for free.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
FreeNAS
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#3]
DD, chron and perl would get the job done.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FreeNAS
View Quote

Also look at xpenology, Unraid,and nas4free
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the NAS box software covered.  I'm going with unRAID as mentioned in my first post.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.  The thought had crossed my mind concerning a backup for my own raid at home.  Could you please update your progress?  Good luck and I hope it works for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top