Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 11:10:27 PM EDT
I am in the process of building a spreadsheet that I believe I could sell. I was wondering about creating a website to sell it from and looking around I see price estimates from $100 a year to thousands of dollars per year. What I would require is a site that will allow for instant download after payment, an email address to go with it, and hosting of a few videos and articles. Security would be important, I wouldn't want a website that easily allows one to steal my customers' credit card info. How much would it cost for something like this a year? I had someone quote me about 20% per transaction to host it on their site but would prefer to keep it completely under my own control.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be under $100/year.  GoDaddy's pretty reasonable, but there are horror stories about leaving them.  I'm w/ GoDaddy, but I've not set up an online store yet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello neighbor, congratulations on having a product to market. To address your concerns, it's very common to have a transaction cost for any type of payment processing (20% is high, obligatory bitcoin option mention here), and for security reasons as you mention, you're unlikely to be hosting any of that yourself (don't invite the PCI into your life).

That said, my first mention would be SquareSpace, that will have all your needs in one place (hosting, domain, email, mature commerce).

If you find a better platform or want to do more of it yourself, I'd mention Gumroad for handling the purchase/payment process. With this option you'd create your landing page with the videos, articles, and sales copy. Gumroad would just be an embed into the page or a click away for customers.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#3]
SquareSpace is a great option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top