Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:38:06 AM EDT
I'm not really a "computer guy" but I have realized that I need to get up to speed with the rest of the world if I'm ever going to make a living doing these activities, so help me out.

I'm not sure on the budget yet but I'm prepared to save up for the right machine. Just try not to throw anything at me to exotic.

I know its cheaper to go with a desktop but I have a legitimate need to be fully portable, so that is not an option.

I'm not even sure if I should go Mac or PC. I've always owned PCs but I'm curious about Macs because I always hear that they "never get viruses". Is this true?

ETA: Whatever I end up getting, it will need to be usable for the next several years before I can afford to replace it again.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
For what you want to do, you better start saving.

Thinkpad W540 loaded goes for about $3800.00

Apple MacBook Pro goes for about $3200.00, but it's not quite the beast the Thinkpad is.

The real question is, just how much VIDEO editing are you going to be doing?  That's what will take the real horsepower.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Apple MacBook Pro goes for about $3200.00, but it's not quite the beast the Thinkpad is.

The real question is, just how much VIDEO editing are you going to be doing?  That's what will take the real horsepower.
View Quote

Not very much video editing. Maybe a few commercial videos here and there.
Mostly graphic stuff.

When you say "loaded" what exactly do you mean? I'm seeing a W540 for $1200ish, so I'm wondering what that one is lacking that you have included in the $3800 price.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Mostly graphic stuff.

When you say "loaded" what exactly do you mean? I'm seeing a W540 for $1200ish, so I'm wondering what that one is lacking that you have included in the $3800 price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mostly graphic stuff.

When I say "loaded", I mean it has the best CPU, Max RAM, Best Graphics, Best Display and biggest SSD.  The base model W540 is a very nice machine.  For about $1900.00 bucks, you can get one spec'ed out that's inline with the 15" MacBook pro base model.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Why laptop?   Get a used Dell 8 core workstation (T5400 or T7400) for a lot less, and you'll have the right horsepower.    Laptops at that same level are available but cost a pretty penny
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why laptop?   Get a used Dell 8 core workstation (T5400 or T7400) for a lot less, and you'll have the right horsepower.    Laptops at that same level are available but cost a pretty penny
View Quote

See my OP
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
What programs do you plan on using?

ETA: You don't anything cutting edge for web or design work (the more RAM the better for design stuff).
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA: You don't anything cutting edge for web or design work (the more RAM the better for design stuff).
View Quote

That's kinda the direction I'm leaning in, but I'd like to be able to parse together a reasonably good video every once in a while.
I just don't know what to be looking at, or even what questions to ask.
I do know that I want the maximum amount of RAM available.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's kinda the direction I'm leaning in, but I'd like to be able to parse together a reasonably good video every once in a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, I'm running a couple year old desktop with an Intel i7 930 (2.8) and 12 GB RAM and have zero issues running all of the Adobe CC programs.

I have never pushed any big vid render, but I routinely focus stack and blend up to 20 RAW files at once in PS. (Takes about 20 seconds to crunch.)

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Crap. I don't what any of that means (except the mention of Adobe CC stuff).

Maybe I should have title my thread: "Arfcom, teach me how to be a freelance graphic designer" LOL
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

See my OP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my OP

I read that, but I don't get the "legitimate need" vor a video editing workstation to be portable, I guess.

And it has to be a compelling need to justify the price difference in that case.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I read that, but I don't get the "legitimate need" vor a video editing workstation to be portable, I guess.

And it has to be a compelling need to justify the price difference in that case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my OP

I will be on the move pretty much all the time. I need to be able to work wherever I am. Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not really a "computer guy" but I have realized that I need to get up to speed with the rest of the world if I'm ever going to make a living doing these activities, so help me out.

I'm not sure on the budget yet but I'm prepared to save up for the right machine. Just try not to throw anything at me to exotic.

I know its cheaper to go with a desktop but I have a legitimate need to be fully portable, so that is not an option.

I'm not even sure if I should go Mac or PC. I've always owned PCs but I'm curious about Macs because I always hear that they "never get viruses". Is this true?

ETA: Whatever I end up getting, it will need to be usable for the next several years before I can afford to replace it again.
View Quote

wait for amazon.com to get this back in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMMMMX2
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Bump so others will see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top