Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 7:30:00 PM EDT
Hi guys,

Running Chrome Browser and Windows 7.

I am having some trouble getting into my business email which is behind an SSL. Essentially it attempts to load the page, but it takes forever and gives me a page not available message eventually.

Flushed DNS, released/renewed IP, checked for spyware/malware, disc cleaned, reset Chrome to factory settings.

If I navigate to the nonsecure link for that my mail (not behind ssl), it loads fast and I am able to log in and send emails fine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Navigate to a non SSL part.  Find an image, right click on it, and go "display image".

You want just whatever that picture is.

In the address line, add an "S" to "http" so it says "https://yourserver/yourfolder/yourfile.jpg"

This will either work, or it won't. If it does, this is a web server problem, kick it upstairs for whomever does that. If it doesn't, chances are the certificate is bad. (See the little lock, go in there and look for the cert.)

Some ahem.... "network admins" have been turning off SSL v3.0 using firewalls, and fucking up all sorts of shit.

https://zmap.io/sslv3/browsers.html This will tell you if your browser has been fucked with to turn off SSL 3.0.  If there IS NOT a warning, then it has been turned off.

Is this a work computer?

10 to 1 this is over reacting hysteria over the POODLE security problem.  It gets into cryptographic balls-deep in networking real fast so don't start reading unless you have a couple hours.

In short, contact the admin, see if anybody else is having problems.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Been emailing my web host for the last few hours.

Hasn't said anything about others with trouble. I followed your link and entered the specified code. I got the login page to come up fast, and then nearly as fast as I got there Chrome proceeded to give me the " time/page not loaded error" which was the same thing that was happening before.

IE does the same.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I telnetted port 2095/2096 and both connections failed.

Any idea as to why this would all of a sudden pop up with me doing no changes?

Edit: Special exceptioned the ports in windows firewall, and also port forwarded them in the router. Same trouble.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
One thing you are going to want to do is switch ISPs.

Get to a coffee shop, or tether your PC to a mobile phone (make the phone a hotspot and then connect wirelessly to it with the PC) and see if the results are the same.

Who you talk to at the host, may not have any clue what the network idiots are doing an swear up and down nothing was changed, when it actually was.

The idiot I dealt with two days ago, shut off SSLv3.0 at his firewall, and then 50 percent of his internet stopped working, and he called me, his web host, saying his site was down. It took him six hours to figure out he was fucking with his firewall at the time the site went "down."

So first, rule out your ISP as doing something stupid by bypassing it.

It would help if you named the host company. Or just googled for their name and ssl v3.0 yourself and see if others are having problems.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One thing you are going to want to do is switch ISPs.

Get to a coffee shop, or tether your PC to a mobile phone (make the phone a hotspot and then connect wirelessly to it with the PC) and see if the results are the same.

Who you talk to at the host, may not have any clue what the network idiots are doing an swear up and down nothing was changed, when it actually was.

The idiot I dealt with two days ago, shut off SSLv3.0 at his firewall, and then 50 percent of his internet stopped working, and he called me, his web host, saying his site was down. It took him six hours to figure out he was fucking with his firewall at the time the site went "down."

So first, rule out your ISP as doing something stupid by bypassing it.

It would help if you named the host company. Or just googled for their name and ssl v3.0 yourself and see if others are having problems.
View Quote

I use a small single man host. Usually the customer service is great, really goes the extra mile to help me. It keeps telling me it is a firewall that I have. I have none and 2095/2096 are open everywhere I can think of.

The only weird think is that when I telnet my domain at 2095/2096 both fail.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Just for fun I reset my router today and the problem went away. No clue what was going on, and how every other site is fine, but whatever it was a hard reset fixed it as it related to my webmail. I always try a hard rest to fix tech trouble and for some reason didn't think of it this time, until I handled all the difficult stuff.

Thanks for all the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top