Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 6:51:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I just finished installing it......so far, so good.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate safari now

Other than that. Not much changed for me
View Quote

I hate it when they make the desktop more like the mobile apps/OS. That's pretty much what they are doing with Safari, and for no valid reason - Safari on iOS doesn't show the full URL because it is typically on a really small screen. There is no reason to hide the URL when you have a big screen! But I never really use Safari anyway, I'm a Firefox user. I do have Safari setup with a different set of logins for a site that I became the webmaster for(ugh, I hate Google Sites, and the way Google handles multiple accounts).

Most of Yosemite(and iOS 8 for that matter) is working fine for me, but it looks like Mail.app may have some odd little bugs - I've had several crashes and hangs. I haven't looked through the crash reports closely to figure out what's going on yet. I generally find myself most annoyed with how many people I know either have older devices or never update their OS or software when I want to use AirDrop to send them something

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I upgraded my work laptop last week and haven't had any issues.  I still need to update my personal one though.

I haven't noticed any huge differences yet.  The only thing I really hate is how they changed the maximize window button.  That annoys the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Love it so far.  Wish they would have keep the old dock though, don't like the way the new one looks.  

Did freak me out a bit when my MBP started ringing the same time as my iPhone.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Safari on iOS doesn't show the full URL because it is typically on a really small screen. There is no reason to hide the URL when you have a big screen!

View Quote

Look under Advanced Preferences.  You can check a box to show the full URL.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
didn't upgrade.  didn't offer anything I needed.  seemed to offer a bunch of stuff I didn't need.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
didn't upgrade.  didn't offer anything I needed.  seemed to offer a bunch of stuff I didn't need.
View Quote

I didn't need anything either, but since it bolstered a stronger security, it seemed worth it.  Not sure if security patches would have been available separately though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
It likes a lot of RAM, especially if running a VM:

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]
My iMac is 2007 vintage, runs great, with 4GB of ram.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Noticed the same thing running it in VM, and kind of strange for a Mac system to require that much memory use.  Guess  that now macs are just pretty much clones of the windows based machine hardware wise, Apple is now trying to put the extra normal memory of these systems to use instead.  The downside to this, older machines that are not packed with enough memory to begin with, will run slower, either requiring a memory upgrade, or in the case of mac users, will just buy a new mac machine to keep up with the OS upgrades.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr269/rx_dawg/ScreenShot2014-11-08at123532PM.png

Noticed the same thing running it in VM, and kind of strange for a Mac system to require that much memory use.  Guess  that now macs are just pretty much clones of the windows based machine hardware wise, Apple is now trying to put the extra normal memory of these systems to use instead.  The downside to this, older machines that are not packed with enough memory to begin with, will run slower, either requiring a memory upgrade, or in the case of mac users, will just buy a new mac machine to keep up with the OS upgrades.

Seems to do a lot of file caching in ram, which is fine until you run out and start swapping.  Just sitting there idling mine's using 3+ GB, so it won't take long to happen.  I just put the 16GB in mine today and started messing with it to see what happens, I think it hit something like 14.7GB used but never started swapping so far.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm having the screen flashes. That's annoying. And they changed the default ssh emacs page down commands. I can't fn+shift up/dn anymore. Gonna have to adjust the emacs defaults now I think.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seems to do a lot of file caching in ram, which is fine until you run out and start swapping.  Just sitting there idling mine's using 3+ GB, so it won't take long to happen.  I just put the 16GB in mine today and started messing with it to see what happens, I think it hit something like 14.7GB used but never started swapping so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr269/rx_dawg/ScreenShot2014-11-08at123532PM.png

OSX should be significantly smarter than to cache files in a swap file.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With 4GB, it would start swapping almost immediately just doing basic stuff (no VMs or anything particularly ram intensive).  I'm glad I spent the extra for 16GB vs 8.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Sitting idle overnight.  Log in, pull up activity monitor and took a screenshot:

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Every time I upgraded the OS (this MBP has had every OS upgradeSnow Leopard to now Yosemite). Maxed out at 8 GB of memory.

I've been having issues with Mail for the last few releases. After ever upgrade, if I shut the lid and come back to it in x amount of time…it'll always freeze trying to resume for the first 5 or 6 cycles.

Memory usage is still lower when compared to any Windows PC I've ever used.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

With 4GB, it would start swapping almost immediately just doing basic stuff (no VMs or anything particularly ram intensive).  I'm glad I spent the extra for 16GB vs 8.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you missed my point.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably, feel free to educate a brotha.  

Its just…odd, and somewhat bizarre, to see OSX sucking up 8GB ram just idling, when it has historically been pretty lean compared to Windows.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:30:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Its just…odd, and somewhat bizarre, to see OSX sucking up 8GB ram just idling, when it has historically been pretty lean compared to Windows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's using RAM that's not being used for anything else to cache frequently used files, executable code, etc.  It's far more efficient to stick all that code and data into RAM where it's more rapidly accessible than have to pull it every time.  There were a couple of articles written about the changes they made (I think it was in 10.8, actually).

If you don't have the RAM, it's not going to pull data from the disk to stick it into cache that's stored in a pagefile.  That would be stupid.

It's just making good use of available resources.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Ah, ok.  This is my first post-10.7-capable Mac, so I haven't kept up too much with it lately.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#22]
For me Yosemite has been very fast and fluid.

Mail has had problems with Exchange but under the latest .1 beta it's a lot better, and I am also running the new Outlook in conjunction. Under .1 beta the stock mail app is only slightly slower in getting new emails than Outlook with Exchange on an O365 business account.

Most WIFI issues also seem to be fixed. I have not had any problems getting or maintaining a connection but reading around a few forums the beta is fixing a lot people's problems. Don't know the .0 releases always have so many WIFI issues but .1 should be out soon for those with problems.

And yeah Yosemite looks like a RAM hog on paper but for most people it's a faster OS. I got a ton of beach balls all over Mavericks and with Yosemite its much more rare. If you use something like iStat you can see the actual active memory isn't that high. I have 6 apps open right now, and my active memory is only around 40% on an 8GB system.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:49:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Yosemite Killed Box Sync...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top