Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 8:33:58 PM EDT
So it's time to overwrite my hard drive with a fresh install of Windows XP once again... just wondering if anyone has a newish install disk? Or know where I can get one?  Can I download it somewhere?

I have a legitimate key code from my original purchase, but my install disk is so old it predates Service Pack 1, which just adds a lot of time and grief to the process.

Please advise.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
XP has been end-of-lifed. Updates are no longer available so it's a huge security risk. Not to mention ancient.

At least get Win7.

Oh and unless you have a corporate license key, it won't work with different installation media.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Using XP isn't really a big deal if you don't mind a mess of malware that there will never be any way to protect against.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So it's time to overwrite my hard drive with a fresh install of Windows XP once again... just wondering if anyone has a newish install disk? Or know where I can get one?  Can I download it somewhere?

I have a legitimate key code from my original purchase, but my install disk is so old it predates Service Pack 1, which just adds a lot of time and grief to the process.

Please advise.
View Quote

Download service pack 3 and slipstream it into a copy of your disk.

Install and shut off updates.

Run as a standard user (not admin) and use Chrome.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

XP has been end-of-lifed. Updates are no longer available so it's a huge security risk. Not to mention ancient.

At least get Win7.

Oh and unless you have a corporate license key, it won't work with different installation media.
View Quote
Yes it will, you just have to match the type. If its OEM, then any OEM disk will work. Ive used the same disk on well over 1000 systems so far, works on all of them.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
XP needs to die in a fire miserably.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
It amazes me that people cling to that OS.  

Do yourself a favor and upgrade OP.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It amazes me that people cling to that OS.  

Do yourself a favor and upgrade OP.
View Quote

For most home users that never experienced Windows 2000, their first solid version of Windows was XP.  Unlike the Win9x series, XP and 2K were pretty reliable.

My guess is for most folks out there, it still does what they need it to do, kind of like a toaster.  Until it starts freaking out and burning toast, there's little incentive to replace it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I would recommend you upgrade to Win 7 if possible. No security updates for Win XP and it has been eclipsed by newer Operating Systems.

What are you using the PC for? If you're just web browsing and things like that you could download a copy of Linux Mint (or similar). Little bit of a learning curve but that distro makes things pretty simple. It will be more secure than running XP.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I will second Linux Mint (It's what I'm posting from).
Very user friendly and should not take much of a learning curve to move over from WinXP (Which is what this old laptop is Tri-Booted with: WinXP/Mint/Ubuntu). The ONLY reason I boot into WinXP nowadays is to use my printer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#10]
OP: The best way is to download the SP and burn them to CD. Then install using the installer that comes with the service pack.

It still takes forever. Win7 is about $60.00 so I would switch to that.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very user friendly and should not take much of a learning curve to move over from WinXP (Which is what this old laptop is Tri-Booted with: WinXP/Mint/Ubuntu). The ONLY reason I boot into WinXP nowadays is to use my printer.
View Quote

Linux does not support your printer?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to figure out the fuckery that would throw into my daily workflow.

At the least, can't you print from a Virtual Machine running on the Linux platform?  

Still, save the doc, open it on the Windows platform, hope you have the same fonts installed, go ahead and print it, oh shit there's a typo, go back into Linux and fix the typos, wash, rinse, repeat... geez.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just curious, what make / model printer do you have?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a new-in-plastic-wrapper copy of Windows 98!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a new-in-plastic-wrapper copy of Windows 98!
View Quote

I opened a new-in-plastic CD to install 98 SE about a year ago. Still boot into 98 SE more than 7 too.

I understand some reasons for installing XP. I've got a P3 Toughbook and that is the newest OS it'll run on (graphics drivers are all sorts of fucked up on any Linux 3.X kernel). If the PC is just for web browsing, I'd recommend installing Mint with the cinnamon desktop. Hard to go wrong with any Ubuntu distro that doesn't use Unity though (I'm on Xubuntu 14.04 right now). Favorite distro is Arch but it isn't the most user friendly to learn Linux on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top