Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2014 1:00:55 AM EDT
It's been a few years since I've built my PC, but I'm about ready to retire my current build.

I need some recommendations on a chipset and some RAM for what I think I desire:

At least maybe an i5 processor
At least 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GTX series card
Probably around a 600-700 watt PSU.
Not sure on sound card yet, might not even buy one.
I'll probably get a SSD with at least 160 GB of storage for my OS and bigger sim games like DCS and FSX. Then I'll back up important files on my current 1TB HDD and use it for storage and other games.

I'm not trying to play on a 40 or 50 inch HDTV, so I don't need best of the best here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Figure out your config at Logical Increments, then go to PC Part Picker to get the retailers with the best prices for the hardware you want (Know that you'll have to register at many of these sites to order from them).
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Physical TV size has NOTHING to do with how much processing power is required.

Budget?
Just a baseline suggestion:

Intel i5-4750k
Z97 motherboard
Whatever RAM you want
GTX 970 from ASUS, eVGA, or Gigabyte
No need for a dedicated sound card
SSD: Samsung, Intel, Crucial, or Mushkin
HDD: Western Digital Black
Seasonic power supply

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've bee an avid simmer for over 15 years consistently. Currently it's DCS, IL2 COD, Rise of Flight and FSX. The only things I'd suggest are at least a 2 gb vid card, more than 8 gb of ram, at least a quad core and 800 watts on the psu. It's always better to have more power than you need. Vid cards are getting bigger and asking for more power.

My current rig is using an AMD 6 core, 2 gb card, 12 gb of ram and 1000 watt psu. I run my sims near or at the highest settings. Its getting about time for me to add another 4 gb of ram and another 2 gb vid card or jump to a 3 or 4 gig card.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's been a few years since I've built my PC, but I'm about ready to retire my current build.

I need some recommendations on a chipset and some RAM for what I think I desire:

Nvidia GTX series card
I'll probably get a SSD with at least 160 GB of storage for my OS and bigger sim games like DCS and FSX. Then I'll back up important files on my current 1TB HDD and use it for storage and other games.

I'm not trying to play on a 40 or 50 inch HDTV, so I don't need best of the best here.

I've bee an avid simmer for over 15 years consistently. Currently it's DCS, IL2 COD, Rise of Flight and FSX. The only things I'd suggest are at least a 2 gb vid card, more than 8 gb of ram, at least a quad core and 800 watts on the psu. It's always better to have more power than you need. Vid cards are getting bigger and asking for more power.

My current rig is using an AMD 6 core, 2 gb card, 12 gb of ram and 1000 watt psu. I run my sims near or at the highest settings. Its getting about time for me to add another 4 gb of ram and another 2 gb vid card or jump to a 3 or 4 gig card.

Not really. Graphics card are getting more powerful and efficient. A good 600 watt PSU is more than enough for single video card systems.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
A good 500w would be enough to power any single videocard assumed nothing is heavily overclocked. I haven't been kept up to date in the past year or so but I would go with a

z97 motherboard
i5
8gb of ram, 16 of you actually need more
1tb WD hdd, if used as storage, get whatever you find cheapest but I would avoid green
atleast a 126gb SSD (crucial, samsung, and intel are the main brands and the most reliable) as they are pretty cheap
Videocard I can't help you since i don't know what's latest
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions so far y'all. I don't know when I'll get around to purchasing parts. I keep wanting to buy more gun stuff, but it feels like a barely have anywhere to play with the gun stuff I buy where I live.

Quoted:

Budget?

Intel i5-4750k
Z97 motherboard
Whatever RAM you want
Seasonic power supply

View Quote

Wouldn't a large TV be more demanding because you're having to run it at such a large screen resolution?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Intel i5-4750 doesn't return any results, but a 4570 does.

Would this one be sufficient from Newegg.com? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116896&cm_re=Intel_i5-_-19-116-896-_-Product

ETA: Any good aftermarket CPU and case fans that are fairly affordable?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#7]
So, after shopping around:

Asus Z97 motherboard
Intel i5-4570 Haswell Quad Core 3.2 Ghz
Team Elite 8Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM (1 stick)
Raidmax Vampire 800 watt PSU
PNY Nvidia GTX 760 2Gb DDR5 PCI-E card
Corsair Force LS series 120 Gb SATA III SSD

Adds up to $774 without shipping so far.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Vast majority of TV regardless of size is 1920x1080. Most monitors are the same resolution.

No point in getting a Z97 board with a non-k processor.

Look for a Seasoned power supply.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Vast majority of TV regardless of size is 1920x1080. Most monitors are the same resolution.

View Quote

Seasoned as in used?

What mobo would be better for that processor?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Right now I use a Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 Ghz. Would I be better off just getting an upgraded motherboard to use DDR 3 ram, or stay with the intention of getting an i5?

Keep in mind that I'm going more for budget here.

ETA: I just really think my bottleneck here is my RAM. I could upgrade my PSU and Graphics card, but what's the use if I can't get past 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seasoned as in used?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seasoned as in used?

Oops auto correct. Seasonic power supply.

Where in Texas are you? Are you near a microcenter? If so look for a i5 4570k and z97 motherboard bundle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I should've worded it that way. Some sims are CPU dependent, some are GPU dependent. For those that are GPU dependent you may want to eventually use 2 cards, therefore requiring more power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Budget?

Intel i5-4750k
Z97 motherboard
Whatever RAM you want
Seasonic power supply

Quoted:
Quoted:

Nvidia GTX series card

Not really. Graphics card are getting more powerful and efficient. A good 600 watt PSU is more than enough for single video card systems.

I should've worded it that way. Some sims are CPU dependent, some are GPU dependent. For those that are GPU dependent you may want to eventually use 2 cards, therefore requiring more power.

Given his prior computer, specified mid range, and budget. It is pointless to plan for a future upgrade to a multi gpu solution.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where in Texas are you? Are you near a microcenter? If so look for a i5 4570k and z97 motherboard bundle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seasoned as in used?

Amarillo, TX. I don't think I am. Fry's is the only place like that I've ever been to. I used to love it when I got the opportunity to go there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top