Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2014 2:30:04 PM EDT
How can we text directly between two phones using only WiFi?  No cell or internet access or other infrastructure.  Just two smart phones (android) within Line of Sight using WiFi, Bluetooth is too limited in range/power/channels.
There must be some way to do this?  Every ap I've tried needs internet or cell connection.  Usually to feed you ads.
Ideally just an ap that would allow two phones to link together, or more than two to form a mesh.  Texting at a minimum.  Other data/voice/pics would be even better.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
From a little bit of Googling it doesn't seem like what you want is possible.

ETA: At least on Android. Found this app for iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firechat/id719829352?mt=8
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If they're both iphones I think iMessage would do it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From a little bit of Googling it doesn't seem like what you want is possible.

ETA: At least on Android. Found this app for iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firechat/id719829352?mt=8
View Quote

Thanks.  I just looked it up.  Apparently there is FireChat for Android now.  Unfortunately it broadcasts to everyone.  Anyone in range can read the text, like being in a chat room, but it does the minimum I requested.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireChat

That sounds like a reasonable solution when out of cell phone coverage while hunting or camping.  Wondering how far the effective range is?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireChat

That sounds like a reasonable solution when out of cell phone coverage while hunting or camping.  Wondering how far the effective range is?
View Quote

I've used similar low power devices with low gain antennas over a mile with direct line of sight (as in; I can see them in the distance).  Mountaintop to mountaintop, or cliff to beach, etc.  In rural areas there is little other noise for interference but some obstructions, like tree's and bushes, will reduce range to just a few hundred yards.  Maybe less.  UHF generally does not penetrate tree's, hills, reinforced walls or metal.
In urban environments range will be more limited by noise and heavy obstructions.

I've been in many situations where I can see the person, or I know they are on the opposite side of a sheet rock wall, or within shouting distance in the woods and we can't communicate due to poor cell service and/or no password for the WiFi.

I'll try FireChat, but I know I would rather have something that is private.  Something like Hamnet for Android is what I really want.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Viber, google chat, or any of a million other apps for just that purpose.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a device under development that is sold in pairs for
$150 that does this.  I am not at home to provide the link, but I considered buying it for use on cruise ships.  Claims the range is up to 5 miles I believe.

Might be called "Gotenna" or something similar.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like just the thing for hunting.  If you need more range, hand held radios are cheap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Skype.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Viper
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The apps you mention operate through an internet-based service.  Sounds like the OP is going to be outside reliable cell phone / internet coverage, and wants point to point or direct connection to another phone or data device.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The "GoTenna" device links to your phone with Bluetooth, then to another GoTenna which is also connected to a Bluetooth phone.  No cellular or WiFi network is used for this connection.

Here's a link to their website.

GoTenna

If they had been shipping in August I would have given it a try.  Seems like a decent system for hunters & hikers, etc.  My purpose would have been to communicate with others on cruise ships, but that's only because I go on cruises 3-5 times a year, generally with other family members and having our own comm system would be very useful.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The apps you mention operate through an internet-based service.  Sounds like the OP is going to be outside reliable cell phone / internet coverage, and wants point to point or direct connection to another phone or data device.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad.  I saw "wifi", and thought they had the Interwebz.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#15]
ETA - reread,  network, no internet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top