Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2014 8:20:52 PM EDT
Not sure if this is the right forum. But anyway, has anybody used web.com or godaddy.com to build a website? I need to build one but can't really afford to pay $2500 for one right now. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be significantly limited in what flexibility you have over the layout. In fact they can be quite the PITA if you want to do the least bit of customization.

I've gone to just using Wordpress now. I'm using it on half a dozen sites at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Is Wordpress good for firearm related sites?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't want to mess with WP, check out squarespace.com.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Wordpress is a good starter site for newbies. That being said, squarespace is far and above the best option for building any type of website. It is not free but I assure you that it is well worth the money! It makes people like myself actually look like the know what the heck they are doing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wordpress is a good starter site for newbies. That being said, squarespace is far and above the best option for building any type of website. It is not free but I assure you that it is well worth the money! It makes people like myself actually look like the know what the heck they are doing.
View Quote

You picked a great sub-forum for your first post!

Welcome
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is Wordpress good for firearm related sites?
View Quote

I don't know why it wouldn't be. I've setup sites for fly fishing, hiking, community, etc. I've got one that's somewhat firearms related (2A). It can be whatever you want.

I've never used squarespace but I've had bad experiences with canned stuff in the past. I was hired to make changes to a guy's godaddy (I think) site and I was unable to do simple things because they blocked access to the areas I needed. It seems like you'd have to pay for multiple sites.

Right now I have one hosting account with at least half a dozen (more, really) sites running on it. I control every aspect myself. Unlimited SQL databases, emails, subdomains, you name it. It just depends on how much control you want.

If you just want to keep things basic where you click a button and call it done a canned solution might be perfect. There are thousands of great WP themes available that can be tweaked and tailored to your heart's content.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have some tech acumen and want a bit more control over WP, you could look at Twitter Bootstrap.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Using Weebly is pretty stupid simple. I've built a small ecommerce site for myself over the last couple months having never had a published website before with little trouble.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Using Weebly is pretty stupid simple. I've built a small ecommerce site for myself over the last couple months having never had a published website before with little trouble.
View Quote

Making a profit?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you don't want to mess with WP, check out squarespace.com.
View Quote

I second this. I've started sending people there and they seem happy (or they lie to me to shut me up, either is probable)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top