Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2014 12:57:57 AM EDT
Hey guys,

It's going to be used in a multi-level house with a few laptops, tablets, and smart phones hooked up to it.  What wireless router can you guys recommend in the $60 range?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Do yourself a big favor, drop another $60 and get a ASUS N66U (Dark Knight)
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  I haven't run into a decent wireless router under $85 in awhile.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Ubiquiti Unifi on each floor
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
While there are routers out there in your price range, I would side with the people who say to spend some more and get a good router. I am a big fan of Apple's AirPort Extreme, although that is about $185. Even with non-Apple devices, it has been the most reliable router I have ever used.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While there are routers out there in your price range, I would side with the people who say to spend some more and get a good router. I am a big fan of Apple's AirPort Extreme, although that is about $185. Even with non-Apple devices, it has been the most reliable router I have ever used.
View Quote

I agree.  Of all of the wireless access points I've owned over the years, my Airport Extreme has been the best by far.  I've got an Extreme and an Express that I use to extend my wireless network.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
in your price range, this is what I would use...

MikroTik

ETA: These units are for the more knowledgeable users.  They come with a default configuration that would work for most home or small office networks, but the wireless is disabled and would need to be enabled and set up.  These units are serious routers with more features than most people could ever use...

Edit #2:  The Ubiquiti units are great, but the UNIFI Access points are not routers.  You would still need a router.  There is a UNIFI router, the UNIFI Security Gateway, but it has no wireless built in and you would have to buy the access points extra.  It's over $100 alone, plus the cost of the access points.  They run about $65-70 each.  This might make sense if you have a large house that needs more than one access point to cover it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The answer.

ETA:  I have deployed that setup in my own home.  The coverage is great, and it bears up under some pretty heavy use without a hiccup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ubiquiti Unifi on each floor

The answer.

ETA:  I have deployed that setup in my own home.  The coverage is great, and it bears up under some pretty heavy use without a hiccup.

Questions about the Ubiquiti AP.  I've never used PoE nor an AP.  Set up many routers though.

Current Setup. DSL Modem/router in basement. Cable runs to multiple locations/jacks throughout house.  Additional wireless router upstairs being used as an AP.  This is the unit I want to replace with the Ubiquiti.

Does PoE work through jacks?  Do I need to use the PoE adapter at the start of the run, or can it be used at the jack closest to the AP location? Does it matter?

Does mounting it vertically on a wall affect the direction of the signal?

Any advantage to using the long range version in a normal size house?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top