Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2014 1:55:58 AM EDT
I'm tired of buying a new home router once a year because I had the audacity to stream ESPN or iTunes movies and it burned itself up.  I want to replace it with pfsense on a decent rig, but I'm stuck trying to figure out the wireless part of it. Wireless-N is mandatory for us (several wireless-only desktop clients) and the pfsense HCL seems out of date for their current release.  

Are there any known-good PCI-E wireless-N NICs supported by pfsense?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
This isn't GD - MarkNH
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
edited
View Quote

Clever.

And never mind my question, I just found a Ubiquiti AP that I can get for the same price as one of the better PCI-E cards, so I'm going that route.  It's PoE, so only having one cable is a bonus.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a switch just get a WAP. PFsense box > switch > WAP. I have a Cisco WAP321 and it works great. Only problem I've seen with the Ubiquiti WAP is that they are only 2.4ghz on most models, which could be a problem if you live in a congested area when it comes to RF (i.e apartment). Also IIRC Ubiquiti WAPs use 24V POE so you need to make you sure you're switch/POE adapter can handle it.

Just make sure the NIC's in the computer you are using for PFsense are good quality.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you have a switch just get a WAP. PFsense box > switch > WAP. I have a Cisco WAP321 and it works great. Only problem I've seen with the Ubiquiti WAP is that they are only 2.4ghz on most models, which could be a problem if you live in a congested area when it comes to RF (i.e apartment). Also IIRC Ubiquiti WAPs use 24V POE so you need to make you sure you're switch/POE adapter can handle it.

Just make sure the NIC's in the computer you are using for PFsense are good quality.
View Quote

I'm going with the wireless-AC WAP, I want this to be as future-proof as possible. The Ubiquiti WAPs also come with their own PoE injector, which is cool.

I only use Intel desktop NICs. In the 20ish years I've been doing this, they've given me the least problems of any cards I've used.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Indeed, Intel NIC's are great. You should easily be able to tell the difference between using PFsense vs a residential router. Before I converted my DL360 G6 to PFsense I had a Linksys router that would constantly buffer during HD streaming. The speed difference is quite noticeable for me even just when surfing the web.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Indeed, Intel NIC's are great. You should easily be able to tell the difference between using PFsense vs a residential router. Before I converted my DL360 G6 to PFsense I had a Linksys router that would constantly buffer during HD streaming. The speed difference is quite noticeable for me even just when surfing the web.
View Quote

I miss my single days, when I could have a 1U box running on the kitchen table and nobody was there to complain
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I run pfsense with Ubiquity APs.  You will be very pleased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top