Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 12:48:45 AM EDT
Looking for a higher end laptop for an upcoming deployment.

I want to be able to run SolidWorks with Simulation packages for midsize assemblies, Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD, and ARMA 3, maybe with settings maxed.

My budget is $1500.

Need 16GB of RAM minimum, prefer an i7, obviously a dedicated Graphics card. SSD primary for OS and major programs, with 1-2 TB secondary drive would be fantastic. Larger than smaller screen would be nice as well.

I would like to have a ExpressCard or PCMCIA slot for a installable CAC card reader as well. (I would like to keep the USB peripherals to a bare minimum.)

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#1]
If you find the "perfect" machine but it only has one HDD bay, go to newmodeus.com for a carrier that will replace your optical drive.

That's how I have my laptop set up.  120 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD in standard location, and 1 TB WD Blue HDD where DVD/CD drive was.

They had great communication (my model was not originally listed on their website - but they found one that fit perfectly!) and quick shipping.

Add a 2nd HDD using the CD/DVD optical drive bay
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Is this what you are looking for?

You are looking for some sort of desktop replacement laptop.  I don't know if any are made that are cheap enough.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thinkpad.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking for a higher end laptop for an upcoming deployment.

I want to be able to run SolidWorks with Simulation packages for midsize assemblies, Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD, and ARMA 3, maybe with settings maxed.

My budget is $1500.

Need 16GB of RAM minimum, prefer an i7, obviously a dedicated Graphics card. SSD primary for OS and major programs, with 1-2 TB secondary drive would be fantastic. Larger than smaller screen would be nice as well.

I would like to have a ExpressCard or PCMCIA slot for a installable CAC card reader as well. (I would like to keep the USB peripherals to a bare minimum.)

View Quote

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231975&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6151265&SID=1461uhqn2ocpd

If you want something more capable:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010036-REG/hp_f2p53ut_aba_zbook_15_i74700mq_8gb_500gb_w7_8_15_6.html

or this dell:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=cupmws4800w7p&model_id=precision-m4800-workstation&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

intel 4710mq processor

windows 7 professional, 64 bit (up to you if you want the windows 8 license as well)

standard 8GB of ram

1920 X 1080 screen

nvidia k1100m gpu

standard 500GB 7200 rpm hdd

intel 7260 wireless card

backlit keyboard

9 cell 3 year warranty battery

8X DVD-RW drive (tray or slot is up to you)

windows 8 recovery dvd

camera and microphone for HD+/FHD

software for camera

Either the dell or hp options are your best bet.

You may be able to find the dell/hp options from their respective business outlet websites for a significant discount.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Some good stuff. I'd like to err towards the gaming laptops versus the workstations as far as the video cards and such. Primary gaming, secondary SolidWorks and such.

I'm also fine with used and refurbed laptops.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm adjusting my budget to $2000 max. Seems like all the features I want are right around there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]
And I think I found my new baby.

MSI GS Series GS70 Stealth Pro-210

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152591
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I would stay far away from MSI laptops.  Too many issues to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thinkpad.
View Quote

This, hard to beat Lenovo for power and functionality.
I'm sitting on a W530 right now, with several SW assemblies open in the background.  Also runs every game I've tried at full resolution and wide open settings.
COD BO2, HalfLife 2, Crysis 2, Borderlands 2, etc

I paid $1200 on WOOT.com, couldn't be happier.

I'll bump up to a bigger SSD later and add to the 8gb or RAM, but it's great for gaming as-is.  The 9 cell battery last 6-7 hours if I'm not gaming or doing some serious modeling.

I also got the bay shuttle and dropped in my old laptop's HD for extra storage.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh? I'd appreciate some reasons - I haven't seen a whole lot of negatives. Definitely want to spend my money wisely.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Thin and light means insubstantial and flexible.  The Thinkpad will have a metal frame that keeps everything from moving around, cables, cards, heatsinks stay put better if they are not flexed.  It's up to you but when i'm dropping big money on a laptop, I want something that will last.
I would want to put hands on these machines before buying, making sure they are something you can live with.  Pictures do not always tell the whole story.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree they are overpriced and I've heard lots of people have issues with them. Plus, its $400 out of the budget.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh? I'd appreciate some reasons - I haven't seen a whole lot of negatives. Definitely want to spend my money wisely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly software and design issues.  Point is I wouldn't trust a MSI laptop to last or run properly.  Stick to the more established manufacturers. (especially the business class offerings)
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some good stuff. I'd like to err towards the gaming laptops versus the workstations as far as the video cards and such. Primary gaming, secondary SolidWorks and such.
View Quote

I think you're fine with this line of thinking. Solidworks in reality does just fine with a gaming card, unless you're getting into the heavy materials stress simulations and all that. The hardware compatibility list is also for guaranteeing full enterprise support with them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think you're fine with this line of thinking. Solidworks in reality does just fine with a gaming card, unless you're getting into the heavy materials stress simulations and all that. The hardware compatibility list is also for guaranteeing full enterprise support with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. I run it on an older graphics card on my now getting dated gaming desktop.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top