Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 2:44:49 PM EDT
PS/2 ports?

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Same reason why a lot of them have 8 USB ports on the back, and headers for another 8 (or more) USB ports.

Because it's insanely cheap to add them, and somewhere out there, SOMEONE wants it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people prefer PS/2 ports for gaming.  Supposed to be faster, though I'm guessing that's one of those mostly in the mind things.

Business PCs probably still have them just in case they need to pull an old peripheral out of storage for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't most mechanical gaming keyboards use PS/2 for n key rollover?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Most newer boards do some magical mumbo jumbo and can get n-key through USB.  I've got a Ducky mechanical board that has NKRO through its USB port.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I see this more on DIY motherboards than I do on big OEM desktops (Dell, HP, etc.)

My theory is demand for these legacy ports is coming from the industrial /manufacturing industry.  Last project I worked on was at a printing company, and there were occasions I got asked to assist maintenance with a press or other device.  Over time, the embedded controllers would fail, and were replaced or upgraded with a pc, or the pc's guts would be migrated into the old case.  The ports would be in use by a barcode scanner or other custom legacy input device.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]
PS2 is preferred for things like MAME interfaces because of the way USB handles multiple simultaneous button (key) presses and is buffered.

More options are always better.  
Unused ports are no big deal.  
Needing a certain port type and not having it is a bigger deal (RS-232 comes to mind).
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

That was the main reason PS/2 hung on so long. Newer keyboards have a chip that emulates multiple keyboards to get around that.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
many gov/mil/civ disable USB ports and use PS/2 for KB and mouse only as a security measure.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#10]

/thread
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Current wired (okay I know not many people have wired ones) Xbox controllers still have a PS2 to USB adapter in them. Not sure if it's a standardized PS/2 connector for a keyboard...too lazy to look.

I'm not missing RS-232 that much...I still have a port on a Pentium 3 machine. On everything else I just use a RS-232 adapter.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:23:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not missing RS-232 that much...I still have a port on a Pentium 3 machine. On everything else I just use a RS-232 adapter.
View Quote

I've been pretty lucky avoiding the need for serial to usb dongles.  The last two times I needed a serial connection, I was able to go TTL to USB adapter, or serial to ethernet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've been pretty lucky avoiding the need for serial to usb dongles.  The last two times I needed a serial connection, I was able to go TTL to USB adapter, or serial to ethernet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hell, I still use DOS on a regular basis. I've also found that buying some cables in serial forms is $10 cheaper a cable. When you have 15-20 different cable combos that you only use one at a time, a  RS-232 adapter (and one for backup) seems really cheap. They only two things that I use TTL on is console for raspberry-pi, and Baofeng radios.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top