Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2014 1:27:38 PM EDT
Some websites can tell that I am using Ad blocker plus. They either put a fucking banner across the top of all of the pages telling me so or they block the entire site until l disable ad blocker.

Is there any way around this?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
not a tag to see the answer.
BTW, what sites do this? I haven't encountered this yet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

www.seahawks.com

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.seahawks.com

In this case it is not the ad blocker, but the blocking of javascript for chartbeat.com, which seems to be coming from the part of the web page served by NFL.com .
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Hulu does it to, since it interferes with the commercials.  Sometimes it busts the whole stream and we have to futz around to get the show playing again.

I also run Ghostery, which is awesome when teamed up with Ad Block Plus.  However, running those two plug-ins will break lots of sites, especially with how everything is all tied into each other with facebook/twitter/pinterest, etc.  

As to what to do about them?  I find myself avoiding websites that don't function without all that crap.  Sucks up bandwidth, sucks up time, sucks up more of my personal info.

Only site I have white listed for both apps is Arfcom.  Goatboy is very cool about not running that crap on his site.  Thx, GB!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't get that banner when using Ad Block Plus but it's because Ghostery is blocking that portion of the page from Chartbeat.  

Install Ghostery in addition to Ad Block Plus.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hulu does it to, since it interferes with the commercials.  Sometimes it busts the whole stream and we have to futz around to get the show playing again.

I also run Ghostery, which is awesome when teamed up with Ad Block Plus.  However, running those two plug-ins will break lots of sites, especially with how everything is all tied into each other with facebook/twitter/pinterest, etc.  

As to what to do about them?  I find myself avoiding websites that don't function without all that crap.  Sucks up bandwidth, sucks up time, sucks up more of my personal info.

Only site I have white listed for both apps is Arfcom.  Goatboy is very cool about not running that crap on his site.  Thx, GB!
View Quote

I have those two plus no script and flashblock
it's amazing to see how many sites rely on java scripts, especially news sites which are really bad about using scripts from other domains. Most of the time when someone posts a link to an article I don't bother since you have to enable so many scripts and I almost never enable scripts on a apge that actually come from another domain
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top