Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2014 10:11:24 AM EDT
My almost two year old Dell Inspiron crashed last night.  Had been running fine all morning, got on last night and was trucking along just fine online when things started slowing down and I got the blue screen.  I did a hard shut down, waited a little while and restarted in safe mode.  It hung up and I restarted again.  Came online this time, was running OK for a few minutes and then got the same slow down along with a kind of a electronic chirping sound (not a clicking sound or buzzing, kinda like when a computer starts up or is "thinking")  again followed by the blue screen.  Somehwere in all of this, I had the sensation of a heat release from the machine, but nothing felt overly warm when I checked the sides and vent.  I shut it down again and let it rest overnight.  This morning I restarted it again, but got a black screen that said hard drive wasn't found.   I tried inserting the OS disck and restarting that way, and got a disgnostic screen that said everything was good but there was no hard drive installed.

Anyone have any idea what happened, if it's repairable, or if the data from the hard drive is recoverable?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like a dead hard drive. You might be able to pull the drive and recover some of the data by reading it from a different computer. Maybe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, was afraid of that.  I jsut tried to crank it up again and just got a blank screen with soem error messages that said no boot device found.  Will see if I can find a repair service that can recover the hard drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top