Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2014 12:45:11 AM EDT
Greetings, I have never posted in this forum but am in need of help from those with more knowledge than I. I have a dell Inspiron 17r se (7720) laptop that came with basic windows 8 (not pro). I hate it and have purchased the windows 7 ultimate with service pack. I have been searching online for how to go about installing this new system without losing all my programs (Microsoft office 2010 mainly) or my files. I have seen conflicting information about how to do this so I turn to the powers of ARFCOM for a tutorial. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. If you need further information regarding system just ask.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I think there is a win7 facelift for win8 that you can download from MS. The way I understood it it makes it function like your old win 7 machines.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand that... Already bought the software.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#3]
According to this terribly formatted webpage, only Pro comes with downgrade rights. I don't think there's any other way to downgrade and keep your installed programs, so it looks like you're just going to have to do a fresh Win7 install.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#4]
There is FREE software that emulates the look & feel of Win7 or XP! It's called Classic Shell. Give it a try!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, the part of Win8 under the hood is better than Win7. The user interface part sucks. It sucks bad. The people responsible for the Win8 user interface need to be fired, blacklisted and end up living in a cardboard box.

Just add Classic Shell (it's free as posted above) and turn off active corners in the Classic Shell setup. You will have the best of both.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Greetings, I have never posted in this forum but am in need of help from those with more knowledge than I. I have a dell Inspiron 17r se (7720) laptop that came with basic windows 8 (not pro). I hate it and have purchased the windows 7 ultimate with service pack. I have been searching online for how to go about installing this new system without losing all my programs (Microsoft office 2010 mainly) or my files. I have seen conflicting information about how to do this so I turn to the powers of ARFCOM for a tutorial. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. If you need further information regarding system just ask.
View Quote

Back up your data, install 7 and start over.

Don't worry about losing office 2010 ( unless you paid for it already), just sign up for a Microsoft Outlook account and you get Office Online for free.

Or, sell that windows 7 disk and key and set up the desktop on 8. Windows 8 Desktop is like Windows 7 on steroids.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I went the opposite direction, and upgraded to 8.1, and never looked back.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
According to this terribly formatted webpage, only Pro comes with downgrade rights. I don't think there's any other way to downgrade and keep your installed programs, so it looks like you're just going to have to do a fresh Win7 install.
View Quote

That simply means you can use the same license to run Windows 7 or 8.1, it doesn't mean there's a way to migrate back to 7 from 8.  Like others have said, either do a fresh 7 install or download one of the freeware start menu programs for 8.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#9]
If it were me, I'd try Classic Shell and see if you can't live with Win 8 for now.    Then wait for Win 9 upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That simply means you can use the same license to run Windows 7 or 8.1, it doesn't mean there's a way to migrate back to 7 from 8.  Like others have said, either do a fresh 7 install or download one of the freeware start menu programs for 8.
View Quote

This is accurate.

The way I look at it, 8 is the way MS is going. You're going to have to get used to it, or be left behind. In all reality, 8.1 is not a massive change like people make it out to be.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is accurate.

The way I look at it, 8 is the way MS is going. You're going to have to get used to it, or be left behind. In all reality, 8.1 is not a massive change like people make it out to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is accurate.

But you can't stand up in front of a group of people and scream "Meh."  Gotta throw a propper tantrum!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it were me, I'd try Classic Shell and see if you can't live with Win 8 for now.    Then wait for Win 9 upgrade.
View Quote

This. I put Classic Shell over Win8 and it works well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:34:32 AM EDT
[#13]
How much does Windows 7 cost, the original install? I just might do it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:45:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

About $99 for Home Premium 64 Bit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:47:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the Student Upgrade disk from my college. Will this work to downgrade from Win 8?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never known a way to upgrade (or down grade) Windows and keep your programs. I'm honestly surprised that no one has suggested to look up your MS Office product key. It was in the help menu last I remember. After that you just get the same Office.exe as the version on your Win 8 machine, install (it'll give you a 30 day trial in typical Microsoft fashion) and enter in your old product key (cause you should've written it down before you started the 7 install).

Fresh installs are best. A upgrade disk can be used for a fresh install (install initially, then upgrade the fresh install as the system only checks for a previous version of Windows, not a valid version). Takes up a lot of space though (my "upgrade" 7 Ultimate OS took up 27 GB after the install, takes less than 14 GB as a fresh install).

I haven't been impressed with Windows 8.1. My wife has a 3 month old Dell with i7…I can still boot my mid-2010 MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo) into 7 quicker than she can boot into 8. Microsoft is down in a rut with truly great OSes every other release for the last 16 years now it seems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've never known a way to upgrade (or down grade) Windows and keep your programs. I'm honestly surprised that no one has suggested to look up your MS Office product key. It was in the help menu last I remember. After that you just get the same Office.exe as the version on your Win 8 machine, install (it'll give you a 30 day trial in typical Microsoft fashion) and enter in your old product key (cause you should've written it down before you started the 7 install).

Fresh installs are best. A upgrade disk can be used for a fresh install (install initially, then upgrade the fresh install as the system only checks for a previous version of Windows, not a valid version). Takes up a lot of space though (my "upgrade" 7 Ultimate OS took up 27 GB after the install, takes less than 14 GB as a fresh install).

I haven't been impressed with Windows 8.1. My wife has a 3 month old Dell with i7…I can still boot my mid-2010 MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo) into 7 quicker than she can boot into 8. Microsoft is down in a rut with truly great OSes every other release for the last 16 years now it seems.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Say what you want about Win8, the under the hood part is good. I've had this laptop since 11/12/12 with Win8 (not 8.1), it gets used all day every day and gets rebooted maybe every couple weeks and has probably went over a month a couple times. I just had my first BSOD on it tonight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Downgrading WinOS is not possible, but upgrading is certainly possible as long as you follow the MS guidelines.  As far as your inability to boot 8 fast, that seems like a personal problem; I've had Win8 builds that cold boot to desktop in under 10 seconds with SSD drives.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Downgrading WinOS is not possible, but upgrading is certainly possible as long as you follow the MS guidelines.  As far as your inability to boot 8 fast, that seems like a personal problem; I've had Win8 builds that cold boot to desktop in under 10 seconds with SSD drives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, Windows 8.1 Professional allows you to downgrade to 7 Pro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top