Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2014 9:07:07 PM EDT
I need to clean up the background noise from a sound file I recorded. I need to "boost up" the speakers' voices and clean out the background noise.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Try Audacity.  It's free.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
For audio restoration work, Audacity won't cut it with its built in tools. It might get you decent results....but that depends upon how good you want it. You will want additional plugins.

Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (13-15 years old I know but has a very good noise reduction plug built in) has been one of my go to editors for many years just for that purpose (plus it's cuts and fade algorithms are excellent even by today's standards).

To do what you want, I'd recommend a good editor with plugins that allow you to readjust where the "center" is so you can adjust where in the audio field the main source audio is (in your case, the speaker). Then, use a side adjust tool to balance and reduce the crowd noise so that you can clear up the intelligibility of the main speaker. From there, export to two track (or stereo interleaved) and expand the center so that it doesn't disappear in certain listening environments. EQ, compress, and balance after that to make it perceptively louder and more balanced. And this is the basic stuff.

Sorry for the wonkiness.....post production audio is something I do to support my BRD......
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top