Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2014 5:27:29 AM EDT
I've not been reading good things about the 2011 version, and the 2008 version seems to have compatibility issues cross-platform.

Might the best option be to run Win7 via Bootcamp and just run my PC version of MS Office?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been using it for years with no problems
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#2]
It is OK, use for work daily.  Some excel crashes with very large data sets and macros dont always work if created on windows
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Use Parallels and install the Windows version on the Windows VM.  That + their coherence mode should give you a pretty good experience without leaving OSX.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got 2011 on my MBP. I use it very little. In fact, so little that every time I use it there is always at least 1 update to install. Nothing is in the same location as the Windows version…that's the only complaint I have about it. Mac has such a nice, simple mail client, calendar, and address book and they are extremely stable.  Why would you bother with the downfall's of Outlook?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Which version?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I've not encountered any reports of issues, but admittedly my sample size is low (like maybe 1 in 25 people I deal with even use a Mac, much less have problems with it.).
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Use vmware and run windows in a VM. 2011 is not up to snuff - Excel is where I run into the most troubles.

If you sign up for a trial of Office 365, you can try both of them for a month and see which one you like better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on exactly what you are doing with it.  I have 2011 and it works fine, but I don't do any scripting either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]
It might as well be made by a different company, considering all the shortcut keys and the menus are different.  It's annoying as hell.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It might as well be made by a different company, considering all the shortcut keys and the menus are different.  It's annoying as hell.
View Quote

I went to google docs...at least everything is in the same place with google docs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I went to google docs...at least everything is in the same place with google docs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep my .xls and .doc files on my NAS.

I can edit from my smart phone or any machine on my home network or my laptop when mobile.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Which version?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which version?
office for Mac 11 with all the latest updates. my mac was the only machine unaffected when I got a crypto locker virus in October of 2013

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Ran 2008 for years... Excel would crash maybe once every few months.
Just got a new MBP (2014) and have been running Office 2011 (365) without any issues.

I use Excel every day and Word a few times a week.

2011 is night and day difference compared to 2008.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top