Gaming: PS3
Desktop: HP (forget model) running W7
Printer: Epson Multi (forget model)

Lab:
ESX Host: Dell Precision 390 running some VM's
XenServer Host: Dell Precision T3500 running some VM's
Domain Controller: Dell Latitude D360
Misc VMs running SQL, AD, Exchange, FIM, RAS, Lync, Proxy, SCCM, Nagios

And some other misc. devices like wife's Mac laptop, iPhones, iPods, Blackberry, etc.

Thinking of eventually setting up a security system. Maybe finding some creative uses for Raspberry Pi? Also see a SONOS music streamer in the works soon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Mikrotik RB1200 for edge
Sophos UTM for lab DMZ
Intel IMS with 3 compute modules with management card and 10 port switch module, there's also an infinband module that I have yet to decide what to do with.
Home built storage array mostly 2TB drives running NexentaStor
I also have a NetApp with 3 shelves that I haven't powered on because I can't actually afford to run it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Buffalo NAS server
Synology NAS server
QNAP NAS Server

2 x Linksys WRT54GL
2 x Apple Airport Express

2 x Cisco 3550 switch
Cisco 3650 PoE switch

Cisco 1841 router
Cisco 2811 router
Cisco 2821 router

2 x Adtran Atlas 550 IAD

Digi CM32 access servver

Misc Linksys, Netgear, and Dell disposable switches
A bunch of Snom and Cisco phones.

Open frame 2 post rack

I am going to add another 3650 PoE switch and another 2821 router in a couple of weeks. Also a new ESXi host - Probably one of the Dell pseudo C1100 that are being surplussed on eBay.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mikrotik RB1200 for edge
Sophos UTM for lab DMZ
Intel IMS with 3 compute modules with management card and 10 port switch module, there's also an infinband module that I have yet to decide what to do with.
I also have a NetApp with 3 shelves that I haven't powered on because I can't actually afford to run it.
View Quote

Freaking Banana to you sir

Had the opportunity to take one home from a datacenter we closed but I have no space, can't afford the drives, and can't afford the power. Would have been beautiful though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buffalo NAS server
Synology NAS server
QNAP NAS Server

2 x Linksys WRT54GL
2 x Apple Airport Express

2 x Cisco 3550 switch
Cisco 3650 PoE switch

Cisco 1841 router
Cisco 2811 router
Cisco 2821 router

2 x Adtran Atlas 550 IAD

Digi CM32 access servver

Misc Linksys, Netgear, and Dell disposable switches
A bunch of Snom and Cisco phones.

Open frame 2 post rack

I am going to add another 3650 PoE switch and another 2821 router in a couple of weeks. Also a new ESXi host - Probably one of the Dell pseudo C1100 that are being surplussed on eBay.

View Quote

What's with all the NAS boxes? Just curious? Are they running rSync to each other for extra redundancy? Or did you just keep buying them as extra mess around machines or you needed more space?

Curious if you have any pictures?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What's with all the NAS boxes? Just curious? Are they running rSync to each other for extra redundancy? Or did you just keep buying them as extra mess around machines or you needed more space?

Curious if you have any pictures?
View Quote

The QNAP (TS-509 Pro) is really just being used for TFTP for the Cisco stuff and storing IOS images. I might move it to something more critical eventually but there seems to be a firmware or hardware bug that causes it to lose its RAID setup for RAID 5 configs on a random basis. Until I have time to troubleshoot it, I am just using two drives mirrored.

The Buffalo is older and dog slow. We migrate stuff to it that we don't access often (older photos, encrypted backups).

The Synology is mostly movies, music, current photos, incremental backups, and home folders for family members.

Of course, we also have the usual assortment of tablets, laptops, PCs. Also the bone yard which has hardware that I can't bring myself to throwaway yet. (Cisco 1700 series routers, server power supplies, DRAC RAID conreollers, etc.)

I will try to get a good picture sometime soon.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Had the opportunity to take one home from a datacenter we closed but I have no space, can't afford the drives, and can't afford the power. Would have been beautiful though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mikrotik RB1200 for edge
Sophos UTM for lab DMZ

I thought briefly about powering it on, copying the leaked celebrity photos and videos too it, and then just powering it down.  Just because.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the middle of changing my network setup.

Current -

D-Link DSL-2540 modem/router, and a couple of  cheap D-Link switches, one cheap POE switch upstairs for the camera that doesn't appear to work anymore , an Apple Time Capsule for wifi and backups for the Apple machines, for computers I have a gaming PC, 3 Mac laptops and a couple of rarely used PC laptops, a Mac Mini that gets used as a TV DVR and  security camera recorder(and has a pitiful 160gb drive), 2 iPads and 3 iPhones. For a while I had a WRT54G hooked up running BBHN(Broadband-Hamnet) mesh firmware.

New setup that I am working on will be a Cisco 2821, I'm going to see if a WIC-1ADSL works with my ISP otherwise I'll futz around with putting the D-Link into bridge mode until I upgrade to a faster connection. That will be connected to a Cisco 3524-PWR-XL that just showed up from eBay yesterday and going out to the existing stuff upstairs. I picked up a Cobalt RaQ 3 to play with, probably going to wipe it and install a newer OS that I have more control over. Have a Cisco 7960 phone, need to get a few more and a machine to use as a SIP server to play around with. Debating whether I want to get a voice module and FXO card for the router,  need to do more research about how well it works with SIP and open source servers(probably end up using Asterisk). Also getting a Ubiquiti outdoor module to put the BBHN firmware on.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mikrotik RB1200 for edge
Sophos UTM for lab DMZ
View Quote

I love me some NetApp..But I concur with your thoughts on being able to run it because it will suck down some juice and cause that electrical bill to rise.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Its funny how it works. After being in IT for about 10 years now, I want my home network to be as simple and bulletproof as possible. Through highschool and college though, I was a massive tinkerer. And to be honest, that's probably where the real meat of my skills come from.

Still though, I have:
Verizon Fios ONT -> proprietary Fios router
Gaming PC, i5 2500k, GTX 780
Retina Macbook Pro 15" (work)
iMac 27" (iTunes server and photo libraries)
Macbook Air 13" (wife)
AppleTV
2x Axis IP cameras
2x iPads, 2x iPhones (me and wife)

At work, its a different story. I'm in charge of 5 sites: Florida, Seattle, Montreal, Germany, and Hungary. 100+ Cisco devices, 100+ servers, vmware farm, cisco phone system, fibre SANS, the works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top