Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 6:23:49 PM EDT
I'm running opensuse 13 on my lenovo ideapad z575.  When I close the display to put it to sleep, and then open it up.. the display does not turn on.  I have to force it to shut down and then restart it.  I'm not sure where to begin to figure out how to solve this.  The laptop has a radeon 6520g graphics card.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried switch screens? When you open it, hit ctl+alt+f1 and see if you get a command line login. My Asus netbook was doing what you describe with anything that wasn't Ubuntu 12.04 based. Turns out there wasn't very good support for the Cedarview graphics card (haven't tested on Ubuntu 14.04 yet).
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried switch screens? When you open it, hit ctl+alt+f1 and see if you get a command line login. My Asus netbook was doing what you describe with anything that wasn't Ubuntu 12.04 based. Turns out there wasn't very good support for the Cedarview graphics card (haven't tested on Ubuntu 14.04 yet).
View Quote

I tried what you said just now and nothing happened.  I could hear the video file I was watching before I shut the lid still play, but after I hit ctrl+alt+f1 I heard nothing.  I had to shut down manually.  This really sucks.  It seems like the only distro that works on my laptop flawlessly is kali linux (formerly known as backtrack).  Ubuntu based distros will give me wireless internet problems.  Actual ubuntu distros (including kubuntu, xubuntu, etc) won't even boot up the installer (freezes at the loading logo).
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Gat damnit I already tried fedora and I wasn't a fan. I mean I guess I can use it but I'll have to compile some applications from source and I hate doing that.  Hmm, actually looks like the one package I was worried about is in the repos, so maybe I'll give it another shot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried a minimum installer? I had that problem with a Toughbook when trying to install Debian. Have to run the Kernel from Debian 6 on it as none of the current kernels support the graphics card.

I've grown very fond of Arch here lately. Though I've just been running it on a Raspberry Pi. Pacman is a pretty awesome little package manager once you learn how it works though Arch is essentially a minimal install (so you have to install everything else yourself).
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you tried a minimum installer? I had that problem with a Toughbook when trying to install Debian. Have to run the Kernel from Debian 6 on it as none of the current kernels support the graphics card.

I've grown very fond of Arch here lately. Though I've just been running it on a Raspberry Pi. Pacman is a pretty awesome little package manager once you learn how it works though Arch is essentially a minimal install (so you have to install everything else yourself).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I couldn't even get the arch installer to work.  I forget what the error message it gave me was, I just decided fuck it and tried openSUSE.  I love it except for this display problem.

Edit: found it:  this is what the problem was with arch:

When I try to boot the latest arch linux release from my usb drive it hangs during the boot sequence. It will either hang after "Started udev Kernel Device Manager" if the physical RF kill switch is off, or "Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status of rfkill0."
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Previously banned member.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top