Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 8:02:26 AM EDT
Dear Arfcom gurus,

Please help this neadrathal. I moved into a new house that is 'wired' for a wall mount TV. It has a recessed receptacle above the fireplace with 5 component females (green&blue, red&yellow, and black) and one coax female with two power.

The bottom ( just above floor, over about 6 feet) is setup the same way. I assumed the LOWER coax was live, which would run to my cable box, then I would run components from said cable box to the lower box and then from upper box to TV.

HOWEVER the lower coax was does not appear to be an output. It does not provide a cable signal. How does one get inbound cable signal via coax and transfer it to the TV? Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It's possible the lower coax is not connected to the service in the attic or structured wiring panel depending on how the house is setup. Maybe the previous owners had a satellite and it was left disconnected when their equipment was pulled.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Previous owners did have dish and I have cable. The dish is still outside. When the cable installer came he said there was a problem with the account or some such (of course)

But it sounds like I'm not crazy and the lower coax should be hooked up to cable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Previous owners did have dish and I have cable. The dish is still outside. When the cable installer came he said there was a problem with the account or some such (of course)

But it sounds like I'm not crazy and the lower coax should be hooked up to cable.
View Quote

If the installers in your area are anything like we have here he probably botched the install and didn't connect the coax.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Gotcha. I forgot to mention that I tried the same cable box on a coax outlet in a bedroom and I get signal, so I know it's coming into the house. I'll check the distribution box in the basement. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dear Arfcom gurus,

Please help this neadrathal. I moved into a new house that is 'wired' for a wall mount TV. It has a recessed receptacle above the fireplace with 5 component females (green&blue, red&yellow, and black) and one coax female with two power.

The bottom ( just above floor, over about 6 feet) is setup the same way. I assumed the LOWER coax was live, which would run to my cable box, then I would run components from said cable box to the lower box and then from upper box to TV.

HOWEVER the lower coax was does not appear to be an output. It does not provide a cable signal. How does one get inbound cable signal via coax and transfer it to the TV? Am I missing something here?
View Quote

Could the lower coax actually be the other end of the coax on the TV wall mount?

My second guess is it was the feed from the satellite dish to the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought about it, but then where would one derive a live cable/sat signal from?

If there was a 2nd co-ax outlet nearby, I would assume one was live and the other lower would just be a connection to the upper. Installer is supposed to come back out Thursday, so we'll find out.

I am also going to be pulling the plates anyways since I am going to add a triple HDMI keystone jack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top