Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2014 8:49:09 PM EDT
I can pick up these server hard drives for cheap at a computer surplus store. Anyone know a way to adapt them to SATA or USB?  

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=EC92A8BAC237872D!1461&authkey=!AIWTgv19PSQLAC4&ithint=folder%2cjpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=EC92A8BAC237872D!1446&authkey=!APU1c-DH_4ccBl8&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I see they make adapters
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=scsi+to+sata+adapter

but unless you got them for free, I can't see why.
those are 73 gb drives.
you would need a raid bay to even make any meaningful size with those.
maybe 10 to 14 just to make 1 tb.
it is only 100 bucks for a tb drive.
even at the cheapest the adapters are 8 bucks each.
the adapters will cost you more than the 1 tb wd drive you could use instead.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see they make adapters
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=scsi+to+sata+adapter

but unless you got them for free, I can't see why.
those are 73 gb drives.
you would need a raid bay to even make any meaningful size with those.
maybe 10 to 14 just to make 1 tb.
it is only 100 bucks for a tb drive.
even at the cheapest the adapters are 8 bucks each.
the adapters will cost you more than the 1 tb wd drive you could use instead.

View Quote

Thanks for the reply. Good points, I did buy the first adapter on the ebay list to try.  I goal is to buy a couple and just use them for backup.

But this same store sells 80gb SATA HDs for $10.

I'll let you know how it works.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know that I would waste my money on trying to use that drive as a back up.

think about it.
those are meant to be in a raid configuration running 24/7 with 365 uptime.

when one fails, they get swapped out so no data is lost.

and they die pretty regularly.
I used to have a stack of them in a desk drawer so I could swap them out and mail the old one back in without having to wait for the replacement to come.
literally 20 of them just to maintain about 10 servers for that kind of up time.

those being used, you have no idea how many hours they have already been run. no idea what kind of read-writes are on them already.

at 80 gb of data, it would be the same to buy a blue ray burner and burn 3 disc's to store it, rather than spend the money on a disc and adapter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure why you'd want to convert SCSI's. Hard disks are relatively cheap…
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think that the adapters are going to work - they are SAS, or Serial Attached SCSI, which is made to be cross-compatible with SATA.  The drives OP is looking at are old-school parallel SATA, which is a different beast entirely.

As others said, those 70GB SCSI drives are cheap for a reason - they're all but useless these days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think that the adapters are going to work - they are SAS, or Serial Attached SCSI, which is made to be cross-compatible with SATA.  The drives OP is looking at are old-school parallel SATA, which is a different beast entirely.

As others said, those 70GB SCSI drives are cheap for a reason - they're all but useless these days.
View Quote

Boy I hope not I already bought the adaptor harness.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well you all were right. The adapter did not work and any more time or money into this idea will not be worth it.

Thanks to all who replied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top