Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 2:01:32 PM EDT
I received an amazon gift card from work. Trying to pick out a new backpack. Would like to be able to carry a tablet and 17" laptop plus accessories. Every bag I look at from the typical makers like Swiss, Targus, etc have quite a few people complaining about zippers and straps breaking, etc. I use the bag as a daily commuter, and don't do much flying. The TSA compliant bag would be cool, but not a requirement. Price limit is $100, but I'd like to spend less if possible.

Has anybody bought a bag recently that they'd recommend?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I received an amazon gift card from work. Trying to pick out a new backpack. Would like to be able to carry a tablet and 17" laptop plus accessories. Every bag I look at from the typical makers like Swiss, Targus, etc have quite a few people complaining about zippers and straps breaking, etc. I use the bag as a daily commuter, and don't do much flying. The TSA compliant bag would be cool, but not a requirement. Price limit is $100, but I'd like to spend less if possible.

View Quote

I really like my North Face Recon. It's been great for carrying around my power supply and MBP (don't know how it would work for a 17"). Works just as well for carrying around my little Asus netbook.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
swissgear /thread
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
swissgear /thread
View Quote

That was my first thought, but after reading the reviews, it made me think differently

Have you bought one recently? Old ones weren't made in China, new ones are.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I really like my North Face Recon. It's been great for carrying around my power supply and MBP (don't know how it would work for a 17"). Works just as well for carrying around my little Asus netbook.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was looking @ NF. They make great outdoor stuff. Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That was my first thought, but after reading the reviews, it made me think differently

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

swissgear /thread

Its been about 3 years. Use it daily. In some areas its showing some wear but still holding up great.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Everki Atlas.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an older Targus I bought in 2001, it held up through college, several plane trips and daily use for service calls, its still going strong with no issues other than some wear on the bottom.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a oakley pannel pack that liked, then amazon had a big sale on swiss so I got a bigger one. Id sell the pannel pack if you wanna im me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Targus 17 Inch

I have one of these.  Going on 4 years now of heavy use.  It doubles as my GHB sometimes as well.  I would buy another one, but the one I have is just barely showing signs of wear so I don't have to.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then again, I go through a backpack every few years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

FWIW, I know this isn't on Amazon or under a $100, but I would use the gift card on something else and look into a better bag. I live on the road about 75% of the year and use one of these going in and out of industrial sites and air planes. It has been a rock solid bag. http://www.tombihn.com/laptop-bags/TB0104.html

From what I see my coworkers seem to go through Targus and SwissGear backpacks pretty regularly, so from my standpoint I figure that the Tom Bihn bag is price competitive after a couple years without having to replace it. As far as the TSA compliant bags I see absolutely no way they are any big advantage. As long as your bag is setup well (e.g. vertical brain cell in the case of the Tom Bihn) you unzip the bag, grab the laptop, and put it in a tray, easy enough.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for North Face. Mine has travelled the world and held up perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got the OGIO Squadron backpack that has served me well for the last few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top