Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 2:08:54 PM EDT
I have been a happy Cisco and ProCurve user for many years. However, I am looking at deploying some Juniper SRX stuff in a few cost sensitive locations.

Those of you that have experience with Juniper, how has the quality been? Not just the hardware, but the firmware also. I don't want to play bugfix of the week on a bunch of routers at remote locations.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Digging into the details a bit more, it looks like Juniper's VPN client situation has been a little jacked up for some time. Especially for OSX clients (and there will be quite a few of those).

It looks like Cisco ASA 5505 with Security Plus license plus AnyConnect licenses may be the way to go. AnyConnect for the PC clients and the OSX clients can use their native IPSec.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd let the Mac users use the SSL-based AnyConnect as well; it performs better and is more reliable than IPSec (especially when the remote user is at a cafe or hotel etc that blocks IPSec!)
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd let the Mac users use the SSL-based AnyConnect as well; it performs better and is more reliable than IPSec (especially when the remote user is at a cafe or hotel etc that blocks IPSec!)
View Quote

Noted. We have had occasional issues with IPsec blocking, but what was really bad was when we used to do PPTP.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Just make sure that you get the correct "user" count on the 5505.  Users mean the number of devices that can traverse between secure and unsecure and the asa takes 1. In my last place that was budget minded to the extreme this ended up biting them several times. The unlimited user count and a sec + license is the way to go. Its what I run at home and have deployed at over 100+ locations.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: The unlimited user count and a sec + license is the way to go. Its what I run at home and have deployed at over 100+ locations.
View Quote

That is what I ordered, but you should have seen me staggering my way through the various license permutations and combinations at 3:00 AM and very short on sleep.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top