Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2014 6:07:33 PM EDT
The company I work for provides my phone and after the last software upgrade, I lost Wi-Fi capability on my iPhone 4S.

We have a weird corporate bureaucracy and now only VPs and above can have an iPhone so, I'm getting a Galaxy S4 as a replacement. I have no choice in the matter.

The only smart phone I've had has been an iPhone and it's done what I needed. What are the pros and cons of the S4?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I went from a 1st Gen iPhone to an S4.  I'll never go back to apple.  It will take you anywhere from a day to a week to get used to it.  I am running a custom ROM on mine, which I'm guessing you won't be, but it's just a great phone.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Screen size is a huge plus.  Can't believe how small the iPhones still are.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If I still have AT&T's unlimited data plan and I go to an S4, can I use it as a personal hot-spot?

Since I am still on AT&T's unlimited data plan, I can't use my 4S as a hot spot (unless I jail break it).
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
So only the Execs can have the shit phone?

Good for you, anyway.

I've got an iPhone 4S (company shit phone) and a Galaxy S4.

There's no comparison. The S4 is a fabulous device, you'll love it. It's different, but you'll love it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Went from 4s to Droid Bionic to S4.

Never going back to Apple.  I jailbroke or rooted every smartphone I've ever had though...  The amount of customization available for the android based phones is amazing.  Hate Applies proprietary implements.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As for if you are allowed to root, then at least with Jail breaking an I phone, you don't have to worry about bricking it, where as with a Droid, you can brick a phone if rooted incorrectly.
View Quote

For me rooting was way easier than jailbreaking.  Towelroot is painless and nearly impossible to mess up.
Both have their risks though.

I won't own one that I can't root.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Bigger screen and removable battery are two big pluses. I have an IPhone 5 for work and hate it compared to my Note2. My wife, my son and I all have Galaxies of one type or another. My daughter has an Iphone, it's pink, she likes pink.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I still have AT&T's unlimited data plan and I go to an S4, can I use it as a personal hot-spot?

Since I am still on AT&T's unlimited data plan, I can't use my 4S as a hot spot (unless I jail break it).
View Quote

yes, PDA Net is a good one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Switching from iPhone 4S to Samsung Galaxy S4, what are the ups and downs?
View Quote

Well, you will stop drinking white wine with your pinky in the air and stop letting random men bang you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, you will stop drinking white wine with your pinky in the air and stop letting random men bang you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the insightful comment, there's a reason why I posted it here and not in GD
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I read through the company policy regarding cell phones and it doesn't mention anything about rooting or altering phones and we can install whatever apps we like, I may give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for the insightful comment, there's a reason why I posted it here and not in GD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARFCOM wins again!

/OP, I too am going away from the iPhone to a Android. LG or Samsung.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I had an S2 and an S3.  My only complaint?  The idiot that owned the phone (me) didn't install a custom rom sooner.  This may or may not apply to you.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I've got it rooted, what ROM is recommended.

Hyperdrive
Jelly Bean
Cyanogen
Synergy

or something else?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]
eh, I'm not positive, but I am not able to put a ROM on my S4 in the traditional sense. They have to be skinned versions of the crappy Samsung flavor of Android. I don't think the bootloader can be unlocked.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Good chance that I'm wrong but, I thought I read that Bootstrap will work to install most ROMS?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't checked in a while, but I just checked xda real quick, and it looks like the guy dev'd something called safestrap that allows you to flash compatible ROMs into slots. I don't know which ones are compatible, but it also looks like there is a known unresolved bug that will put your phone in a bootloop if you use encryption.

I use encryption, so it's a non-starter for me. If you find out something else, I'll be watching this thread.

eta: looking at the compatible list of ROMs, it looks like they are all TouchWiz ROMs, which are Samsung's flavor of Android I believe.

I use the ATT SGH-i337 S4, but it seems these issues are for all S4s.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I haven't checked in a while, but I just checked xda real quick, and it looks like the guy dev'd something called safestrap that allows you to flash compatible ROMs into slots. I don't know which ones are compatible, but it also looks like there is a known unresolved bug that will put your phone in a bootloop if you use encryption.

I use encryption, so it's a non-starter for me. If you find out something else, I'll be watching this thread.

eta: looking at the compatible list of ROMs, it looks like they are all TouchWiz ROMs, which are Samsung's flavor of Android I believe.

I use the ATT SGH-i337 S4, but it seems these issues are for all S4s.
View Quote

You're right, I meant to say safestrap. My phone isn't encrypted so it should work and I didn't know a thing called TouchWiz existed until yesterday so, I doubt I'd know the difference
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#20]
You are getting an upgrade.

iPhone 5 phones also suffer from the "lost connection to data chip" problem.

The only difference is you'll have to manage your music and media differently, but if you don't do a lot of music on it that won't be a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Im making the same change this week. I voluntarily switched from a Droid phone to an iPhone.  Big mistake.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Make sure to unlink your emails from the Iphone/Itunes. I know people that switched from apple phones to android and had issues because all the contact info was Iphone linked somehow.  I don't know the exact cause and effect. Just know a guy switched from Iphone 4S to Note3 and took Note3 back because he was not getting texts, emails, etc. The issue got solved and he now wonders why he did not switch sooner.  For the unlimited data people I use the paid version of Foxfi/PDAnet. It works great. Have pulled in over 70 GB in a month.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Make sure to unlink your emails from the Iphone/Itunes. I know people that switched from apple phones to android and had issues because all the contact info was Iphone linked somehow.  I don't know the exact cause and effect. Just know a guy switched from Iphone 4S to Note3 and took Note3 back because he was not getting texts, emails, etc. The issue got solved and he now wonders why he did not switch sooner.  For the unlimited data people I use the paid version of Foxfi/PDAnet. It works great. Have pulled in over 70 GB in a month.
View Quote

Good point, you have to unlink your messaging, also, or your text messages will go off into the ether of Apple.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good point, you have to unlink your messaging, also, or your text messages will go off into the ether of Apple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a similar issue with my Ipad- people couldn't message me anymore until they changed my contact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top