Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 12:37:16 PM EDT
I'm gonna start this off by saying that I'm a tight wad that isn't going to spend much money.... especially on a computer.

Now with the that being said I haven't owned a computer in 4 years and I only use my phone for all my Internet needs but recently I've been thinking of getting a Ipad 1 but after a little research I've seen good things about Chromebooks.

All it would be used for is Internet, email, and I would like the be able to plug in my SD cards from my trail cameras and be able to check and erase photos in the field.

What would be the best and cheapest machine for my needs?  Also I might add that my Internet connection with be tethering through my phone if that matters.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Chromebook stores all data in the Cloud.  FBI says any data in the Cloud and left undisturbed for 30 days is abandoned, and they don't need a search warrant to seize it.  Enjoy your Chromebook.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chromebook stores all data in the Cloud.  FBI says any data in the Cloud and left undisturbed for 30 days is abandoned, and they don't need a search warrant to seize it.  Enjoy your Chromebook.
View Quote

What the heck is "the Cloud"?  Are you suggesting something other than a chromebook? If so, what is your recommendation?

I literally know as much about computers as the Walmart gun salesman knows about guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two of them, and like them very much ... as for which one, you'd best figure that out for yourself.

Go to your local Best Buy to fondle and play, or Staples might do.

I think the best thing is that if anything happens to it, you get  a new one, and all of your shit is right there, once you sign into your Google account.

They have a word processor, spreadsheet, and so on.

I wouldn't do online banking, keep my checkbook, or do credit card purchases on it, though.

Regular, painless updates to the operating system keep you with the latest version ... and no anti-virus bullshit, either.

Many criticize them for what they aren't, rather than praise them for what they are.

ETA: Bought the first one in January of 2013.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What the heck is "the Cloud"?  Are you suggesting something other than a chromebook? If so, what is your recommendation?

I literally know as much about computers as the Walmart gun salesman knows about guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chromebooks don't use a conventional operating system.  They basically use a web browser as the operating system.  This means you can surf the web, do email, yadda yadda.  You have basic word processing ability.  There are applications (weenie ones) available that can do most of what you may potentially want to do, but it isn't ever going to be a "real" computer.

You can certainly do what you outlined you want to do with a Chromebook.  There are a few provisos you need to be aware of, though.  Printing sucks, for one.  You have to have a wireless enabled printer that works with a Chromebook.  It is something that needs to be fixed.

The Cloud is a bunch of hard drives in random locations.  To store big files you basically get membership rights to use those hard drives.  You would not want to store anything sensitive on the Cloud.  You access those files via the web.

Chromebooks (I am partial to the Samsung ones) are a great bargain.  For about 250 bucks you get a real keyboard and the battery life is quite good (up to 7 hours on some versions).  If you lose it or it gets eaten by a pit bull, no big deal.  You get another one.

I was an early adopter and have several Chromebooks in the house.  I treat them as basically a disposable computer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
For the no credit card statement.... what would be different about using my phone for CC purchases vs using the chromebook?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Chromebooks don't use a conventional operating system.  They basically use a web browser as the operating system.  This means you can surf the web, do email, yadda yadda.  You have basic word processing ability.  There are applications (weenie ones) available that can do most of what you may potentially want to do, but it isn't ever going to be a "real" computer.

You can certainly do what you outlined you want to do with a Chromebook.  There are a few provisos you need to be aware of, though.  Printing sucks, for one.  You have to have a wireless enabled printer that works with a Chromebook.  It is something that needs to be fixed.

The Cloud is a bunch of hard drives in random locations.  To store big files you basically get membership rights to use those hard drives.  You would not want to store anything sensitive on the Cloud.  You access those files via the web.

Chromebooks (I am partial to the Samsung ones) are a great bargain.  For about 250 bucks you get a real keyboard and the battery life is quite good (up to 7 hours on some versions).  If you lose it or it gets eaten by a pit bull, no big deal.  You get another one.

I was an early adopter and have several Chromebooks in the house.  I treat them as basically a disposable computer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So by using the Cloud I'm basically just saving all my stuff on a hard drive that is accessible to everyone rather than the hard drive of the chromebook?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So by using the Cloud I'm basically just saving all my stuff on a hard drive that is accessible to everyone rather than the hard drive of the chromebook?

View Quote

No, it's really not "accessible to everyone" (any more, or less, than your Google account is) but I don't think it is a good way to do online banking, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, it's really not "accessible to everyone" (any more, or less, than your Google account is) but I don't think it is a good way to do online banking, but that's just me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, it is theoretically only available to you- the owner of the cloud storage.  The Chromebooks today do have internal storage, but they won't do if you are a hoarder of movies, pictures, etc.  The Chromebooks also have USB and other external ports, so you can always add your own storage (memory stick, etc.).

If you travel a lot then the Chromebooks make a lot of sense.  The small cost of replacement, for one thing.  

I forgot to mention that to get anything out of a Chromebook you MUST have wireless internet in your home.  

All in all for the cost I would just get one.  If you have young kids (like I do) in the house then certainly get one.  My kids are brutal on electronics.

One good thing about the Chromebook is the very fast boot up time due to the minimalist operating system.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top