Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 7:22:55 PM EDT
Tried posting this in GD, got no replies so thought I would try here.

I have a thief in my office.  It is one of my employees, and they are stealing from other coworkers.  We don't deal with money in our satellite, so the problem is contained to just other employee's money.

If this person gets promoted, they will move into a position that deals with customer credit card info, and I can't have that.  This means that I cannot just scare the whole building into not stealing again, I have to root out the culprit and terminate their employment.

I am looking for suggestions on a good hidden camera.  I've narrowed it down to 5 people who all sit on the same row of cubicles.  Camera will need to mount on the ceiling(drop tile), and it would be best if it worked over wifi so I don't have to get up in the ceiling and run cable back to the server room, which is 40 feet away.

Any ideas?  Low budget would be nice, I can't spend $300 on a fancy camera unit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It might be a good idea to run this past HR and/or an attorney. Depending on state laws you might be exposing yourself to a criminal charge with the "hidden camera".
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It might be a good idea to run this past HR and/or an attorney. Depending on state laws you might be exposing yourself to a criminal charge with the "hidden camera".
View Quote

Or just find out who it is and fire them for another reason without mentioning the camera.

The other employees probably aren't going to be crazy about the idea afterwards.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Or just find out who it is and fire them for another reason without mentioning the camera.

The other employees probably aren't going to be crazy about the idea afterwards.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HR is involved, in the clear there.

Camera or not, it is at will employment, I can fire her for any reason at any time, and all 5 are within their 90 probationary employment period.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Camera or not, it is at will employment, I can fire her for any reason at any time, and all 5 are within their 90 probationary employment period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just find out who it is and fire them for another reason without mentioning the camera is still a possible.

That does not matter... if it is illegal to video in those circumstances... catching a criminal charge and having to rehire after a law suit over an "illegal" camera is possible.

Take the time to do it right... or if "at will" fire them all!  

Either will be a mess.  Especially if you lose your job and end up in a State prison!!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely check with legal dept.

I've got 2 Belkin NetCams - front and back door.  Puts out a pretty strong WiFi signal. Took me all of 10 minutes to set up an account and get the cameras up and running.  When motion is detected they upload video clips to Belkin's "cloud" this is currently a BETA offering and is free.  You can watch real time or watch the recorded video clips on your phone or desktop - does not play well on Chromium or FireFox.  I don't have IE so I can't speak to that browser.  The quality during the daylight is excellent.  Clips of motion taken during the night, using the building infra-red, are not too clear.

They offer "push" notification and email notification when motion is detected.

The only negative is at night fireflies flashing their azzes near the camera will set off the motion sensor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Camera will need to mount on the ceiling(drop tile), and it would be best if it worked over wifi so I don't have to get up in the ceiling and run cable back to the server room, which is 40 feet away.
View Quote

If you have a wireless camera, you'll still need power running to it.  Not sure what's above the ceiling tiles with regards to power connections, but it sounds like you won't get away from getting up in the ceiling to pull wires.

If you have to pull power from the server room, a POE (power over ethernet) camera might be a better solution.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you have a wireless camera, you'll still need power running to it.  Not sure what's above the ceiling tiles with regards to power connections, but it sounds like you won't get away from getting up in the ceiling to pull wires.

If you have to pull power from the server room, a POE (power over ethernet) camera might be a better solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Camera will need to mount on the ceiling(drop tile), and it would be best if it worked over wifi so I don't have to get up in the ceiling and run cable back to the server room, which is 40 feet away.

Didn't think of that, appreciate the feedback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top