Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:55:11 AM EDT
I've got an older Dell 560 Inspiron desktop that I would to set up for my brother to access wifi. Been reading about them and would like an opinion if a PCI  or a USB would be better. It's only going to be used for him to play around on the internet.

Examples:
PCI Adapter or USB Adapter
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]
the USB adapter will have a life beyond this computer. How likely are you to buy another computer with a PCI slot that needs wifi?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the USB adapter will have a life beyond this computer. How likely are you to buy another computer with a PCI slot that needs wifi?
View Quote

Not likely.

ETA: I put my own computer together and this one is a spare.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Either way, it's fairly inexpensive.  I would guess the PCI card has would provide better reception.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Either way, it's fairly inexpensive.  I would guess the PCI card has would provide better reception.
View Quote

That's what I was wondering. The place he stays is suppose to be installing wifi. Not sure where the locations for the antennas?? in the building will
be at this time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Only thing that really separates PCI from USB…most PCI wifi cards are setup to accept external antennas where with USB you're stuck with what you've got. So if there isn't an extremely strong signal where the desktop will be going, it may be more beneficial to invest in a PCI card and a 6-9 dBi antenna for it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Only thing that really separates PCI from USB…most PCI wifi cards are setup to accept external antennas where with USB you're stuck with what you've got. So if there isn't an extremely strong signal where the desktop will be going, it may be more beneficial to invest in a PCI card and a 6-9 dBi antenna for it.
View Quote

Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Moot point. Most name branded Usb sticks come with an extension cable and a dock.  Do the stick is moveable like an external antenna.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Moot point. Most name branded Usb sticks come with an extension cable and a dock.  Do the stick is moveable like an external antenna.
View Quote

Thank you also. I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not a moot point. Just depends on many factors.

Moving the wifi dongle will only increase the signal by less than 1dB. Depending on the antenna (+9dBi is common for an aftermarket omni) and the feed line (most of the cheaper stuff ill have around 3-5 dB of loss for a 3 ft run) you could see much more significant improvement versus just moving a dongle around. It all just depends on the application and the existing signal strength of the location of interest to really see which is the best solution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top