Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 4:57:54 AM EDT
Well my two year old dell's Motherboard went bad the other day and it is no longer under warranty so it's buy a new laptop or try and replace the motherboard. Now I replaced the hard drive before on a Laptop that was 6 years old that my son uses now had to buy new Windows system and we ran into the problem that  the WiFi would not work it still does not work but he can use the cable to hook up to the internet.

Looking for any advice should I replace or just buy the new laptop? Thanks

Edited I replaced the Hard drive never a motherboard! So guess I'm looking at what all I would need to get it done and how hard is it?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Well my two year old dell's Motherboard went bad the other day and it is no longer under warranty so it's buy a new laptop or try and replace the motherboard. Now I replaced the hard drive before on a Laptop that was 6 years old that my son uses now had to buy new Windows system and we ran into the problem that  the WiFi would not work it still does not work but he can use the cable to hook up to the internet.

Looking for any advice should I replace or just buy the new laptop? Thanks

Edited I replaced the Hard drive never a motherboard! So guess I'm looking at what all I would need to get it done and how hard is it?
View Quote
It may be easy, may be extremely hard.

It might have built in memory, video, or CPU or any combination and therefore, be very expensive.

Those cases are not designed to be taken apart much if at all, you may break something.

A NEW computer is probably only 25% or less more than the cost, and it'll be faster, have a warranty, not have an old hard drive in it, etc.

I wouldn't even consider doing what you are considering.

Just pull the drive from the old one and use it in a USB enclosure to get files off it.  Then use that drive as a backup device.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#2]
First, find documentation on beep codes, see what three beeps means.

That being said, it's amazing how often just disassembling a laptop and reseating memory, flat cables, and everything else will fix these kinds of problems.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
the only thing you can do is remove ONE device at a time, starting with memory, then reboot till it works.
you cant replace the MB unless you get lucky.

thats what i would do. a RAM card COULD be bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top