Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2014 6:30:14 PM EDT
**Fixed as of 7/27, the PSU needed to be replaced**

Turned my bad boy off for a couple days, now it won't turn on. Nothing happens when I press the power button.

-LED's on motherboard are lit
-Disconnected everything and cleaned it all
-reset cmos

I have an older computer that I haven't touched in years. I think I'll hook each part up individually to the old computer to make sure they work.

Any other suggestions? Motherboard, power supply, and HD are about 6 years old; video card and RAM are 2 years old.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
take it to the range.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You said you disconnected everything,,. Did you pull the power cord from the power supply out and leave it unplugged for 10 seconds or more? I had a desktop that wouldn't power up when I shut it off unless I did that... Otherwise it sounds like the power supply might have crapped out.

Check to make sure that the heat sink on the CPU is seated. Same thing for checking the CPU itself... Make sure
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Turned my bad boy off for a couple days, now it won't turn on. Nothing happens when I press the power button.

-LED's on motherboard are lit
-Disconnected everything and cleaned it all
-reset cmos

I have an older computer that I haven't touched in years. I think I'll hook each part up individually to the old computer to make sure they work.

Any other suggestions? Motherboard, power supply, and HD are about 6 years old; video card and RAM are 2 years old.
View Quote

Try reconnecting everything?

I don't have any idea.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had to guess, it would be PSU is gone. Easy test is to connect your old PSU and see if it cranks up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Look on the motherboard for swollen capacitors.  They look like little cans with bulged tops.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]
It's the PSU. Time to go shopping

ETA: I'm also shopping for a new hard drive and tower. My current tower is a huge Cosmos S.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's the PSU. Time to go shopping

ETA: I'm also shopping for a new hard drive and tower. My current tower is a huge Cosmos S.
View Quote

how much you looking to spend and what size you looking? i like my fractal r3/r4 case. nice simplistic and fairly cheap. for a psu i would recommend seasonic x series

case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020

psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

for hard drive need to know space you need.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

It sounds like you know what you're doing but in case you hadn't heard of them they're great for watching prices.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Look on the motherboard for swollen capacitors.  They look like little cans with bulged tops.
View Quote

And take a VMM and see what's on the PWR_OK line.

And if you're comfortable opening it up, look in the PSU for bad caps.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I just went through this on my HP desktop. It was a bad power supply. 30 bucks on amazon and it's working fine now
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Replaced the PSU and downsized from a full tower to a mid tower.

She turns on but now I'm not getting any video output!

Uggggh it's never ending.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Fixed! Stupid me forgot to plug in the 8 pin power on the motherboard since it was hiding behind my fans.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fixed! Stupid me forgot to plug in the 8 pin power on the motherboard since it was hiding behind my fans.
View Quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one to [not] do this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top